Fried seafood cannot be enjoyed without a complement of tasty tartar sauce. This creamy condiment brings out the flavor of the fish like no other substance can. To create your own tartar sauce at home, follow this recipe.
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon minced onion
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare the ingredients. Fresh onions will enhance the taste far better than dried so spend the extra time mincing your own onions. Slice one lemon and squeeze out two tablespoons of juice. Remove any seeds.
- Mix the ingredients in small bowl. Place the relish and fresh minced onions in the bowl first. Then add the lemon juice and mayonnaise.
- Stir the ingredients together until you have a rich, creamy consistency. If the tartar sauce appears too watery, add a dab more mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to flavor. The amount of salt and pepper you use depends upon your own personal taste so try a little at a time and taste until you have what you are looking for.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving. Tartar sauce is best served cold so prepare it at least one hour ahead of time. Using this recipe your fresh tartar sauce should last refrigerated up to three days.
Tartar sauce is a great accompaniment to any battered or fried fish dish. Feel free to spice yours up with a little tarragon or even hot sauce if that suits your taste. Remember to have fun with this recipe and make the tartar sauce that you like.