Vanilla custard is an age-old dessert that brings back fond memories around the holiday table. Used as a filling for a pie, on its own like pudding or even frozen like ice cream, its versatility and simple cooking process make this creamy treat a winner!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup melted butter (approx. 1 stick)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (real vanilla is preferred to artificial)
- Sift flour and sugar together in a bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine milk, butter and vanilla.
- Add flour and sugar mixture to milk mixture and combine.
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until mixture becomes thick, stirring constantly. It is important that you prevent any of the custard from sticking to the bottom of the pan, as it will burn.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serving size depends on use. Makes 1 pie.