When most think of putting on a party, the word smoothie doesn't always come to mind. However smoothies are a great way to have a family-friendly interactive party. I learned the art of smoothie-making when I was in college, serving hundreds of hungry college kids. When I realized how easy and fun it was, I brought the idea into my home, and now into yours!
Organizing your smoothie party will be easy and fun. Here are the few simple steps, including what you will need, as well as a few great smoothie recipes!
- Invite your friends and family! Simply tell them you are having a smoothie party! They will be intrigued and interested right away. Encourage them to wear tropical clothes, even if it's the middle of winter; this will create a smoothie theme that will be fun for everyone!
- Get a blender! There are several kinds of blenders out there and maybe you even have one. If you want, however, there are several smoothie-specific blenders out there. A few of them even have dispensers on the front for an easier pour! My particular smoothie maker was purchased from Wal-Mart for only $26.00, and it works wonderfully!
Also be sure to have plenty of cups. Getting plastic ones might be your best bet. Another great idea is to buy stirring sticks.
- Get your fruit! This is the one of the fun parts of preparation. To begin with, you have the choice of fresh or frozen fruits. I suggest fresh because the taste and consistency is so much better, but frozen will be fine if you are pressed for time. Absolutely no fruits are off limits when you are making smoothies! Here are just a few that you could use: strawberries, bananas, oranges, mandarin oranges, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, mango, blackberries, and pineapple. I suggest getting as many fruits as you can to provide variety for your guests!
- Get your "other" ingredients. This consists of a wide range of items. Here are some other the other add-in's you might want to consider: Yogurt (plain or flavored), juices (any!!), peanut butter (with the bananas), coconut creme or juice, chocolate syrup, and pretty much anything else you can think of that you want to put in a smoothie! Nothing is off limits! All of these things will act as an agent to allow the smoothie to get that smooth consistency, although you can use only fruit if you wish.
- Get enough ice! If you are expecting a lot of guests, it is best to get a bag or 2 of ice; this will make it easier than filling trays up with water! Unless of course your fridge has an ice maker.
- Get the party set up. Set out all of your fruits and all of your other ingredients. When the guests get there, let them look at all the ingredients and create their own smoothie. This will make the process a lot more fun for everyone! It will be fun for them to experiment with different combinations!
Here is the simplest smoothie recipe (for 1 smoothie):
- Add ice (one standard-sized ladle full).
- Add fruit (at least 4 to 5 tablespoons of your choice).
- Add your "other" ingredient or 2 (2 tablespoons of yogurt, juices, etc.).
- Blend them all together until no chunks of fruit or ice remain.
Different combinations (such as strawberry, banana and yogurt or mango, pineapple, orange juice) are all really great combinations!
Now that you have all the steps, you are ready to put on a great smoothie party! Remember to keep the options open! It may even be a good idea to do a few test smoothies in order to get into your smoothie groove! Good luck and have fun!!