Whether you have a small kitchen or a relatively large kitchen, there never seems to be enough space for all the food and gadgets you wish to store. Food preparation and cleaning may become difficult because you’re always bumping into something. Here’s how to save space in the kitchen:
- Organize what you have. First, go through the foods and kitchen items you already have. Get rid of anything that has expired or that you don’t use. Many kitchens become cluttered with items that simply aren’t necessary to keep around.
- Install storage devices. Install hooks, shelves, spice racks, knife blocks, and other items in the drawers, cabinets, and other storage spaces in your kitchen. First make a plan for what kinds of items will go where, and then install the proper storage devices for them.
- Better utilize your kitchen space. Use wall space and the tops of the kitchen cabinets. For example, use a wall-mounted spice rack instead of placing spices in one of your kitchen cabinets. Hang mugs by hooks on the wall, or attach a paper towel roll hanger on the wall. Display interesting kitchen items, such as large serving bowls, on top of your kitchen cabinets. If you have a relatively large kitchen, consider adding a kitchen island. If you have a small kitchen, remove the breakfast table to allow you more space to move around when cooking.
- Move kitchen items away from the kitchen. If you have a small kitchen, consider moving some kitchen items away from the kitchen to save space. For example, infrequently-used kitchen appliances can be stored in the garage or another storage room. These small appliances take up a lot of counter space and can easily make your kitchen look cluttered.
- Replace your food and kitchen gadgets. Now, organize the food and kitchen gadgets, replacing them in the correct kitchen cabinet or other storage area. Group like items together to allow you to easily find them later and to save space in your kitchen. For example, group can openers, graters, scoops, and measuring spoons in one drawer close to where you prepare your food. Gather spices in a spice rack in another cabinet. Sort and stack plastic containers and lids, and nest pots and pans inside each other.
- Keep on top of organization. Every time you cook or clean, replace your kitchen items back where they go. Stay in this habit to keep your kitchen organized. Do not toss items back in a random drawer once you’re done with them, or you’ll soon end up back in the same situation. Saving space in the kitchen requires staying on top of the clutter.
Although most kitchens cannot be expanded, organizing your kitchen can make any space you have more efficient. Small kitchens can feel cramped, but there are ways to maximize your kitchen space. Saving space in the kitchen can make it your favorite room in the house.