If you've ever thrown a theme party before, you know how much fun they can be both to plan and to attend. Theme parties are a great way to get your friends together for a night they will never forget. They create lasting memories for everyone in attendance. It's better than going to the same place over and over again every Saturday, and it's definitely better than sitting home!
In the meantime, I have everything you need for your next theme party! What better way to make your friends feel like the fabulous people that they are other than throwing your own Hollywood- or movie-themed party? Keep these tips in mind when planning your next big party.
- Invitations. You will need some way to let your guests know about the big event. Many party supply stores sell pre-made invitations for these type of parties so look for ones in the shape of a movie ticket, a movie clapboard (you know, those things directors use when they yell "action!") or even popcorn. If you can't find any premade invitations, try making them yourself. This way you will personalize the experience even more. Mailing the invitations out is also a fun way to get your guests in the party mood! Be sure to give yourself enough time to prepare from the RSVP date!
- Decorations. What's a party without some decorations? The options are endless with the Hollywood theme. I would try to stick to a black, red and gold color scheme for the party's main decorations. And of course you'll want those famous Hollywood letters to hang up somewhere. Roll out a red carpet in the entranceway to make your guests feel like they are entering a movie premier. Balloons, streamers and other objects found at your local party supply store make perfect decorations for any party. Megaphones and clapboards can also be placed around the room. Look into hanging up "scene setters" to help create the Hollywood atmosphere. Christmas lights also help set the mood by adding some sparkle.
- Tableware. A red or black tablecloth on the table that you plan on serving the food would work wonderfully. Try alternating red, black and gold napkins, paper plates, flatware and plastic cups. Large gold trays are ideal for serving the food on. If you wanted to use tableware with Hollywood-type pictures, you can find them at your local party store. Different stores and websites, offer different patterns so shop around before you buy. The choice is yours!
- Food. What type of food you serve at the party is totally up to you. Finger sandwiches, pasta or even having platters made up are all good ideas. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tie the Hollywood theme into cold cuts! However, there are many ways to use smaller food items to help enhance the movie theme. You can use a separate table to set up a mock "concession stand" using foods such as....
- Boxes of assorted candies
- Popcorn (party stores often sell those old fashioned popcorn containers)
- Drinks. In addition to the soda at the "concession stand," you want to try to serve drinks that capture that glamorous Hollywood lifestyle. Champagne or sparkling juices make great choices. You might even want to have a toast during the night! Also offer several different kinds of cocktails such as martinis and cosmopolitans. Be sure to be well stocked when it comes to drinks.
- Favors. By giving your guests party favors, not only are you giving them something to take home and remember the night by...but you are also thanking them for attending. After all, what would a party be without people? Since you will already know who will be attending by having them RSVP, giving each of your guests a truly unique award just for them would be a great way to give out favors. You can distribute them by holding an "awards ceremony." You can even go as far as ordering personalized popcorn bags from different websites. Clapboard picture frames also make excellent favors.
- Attire. For a Hollywood theme party, you basically have one of two choices. One idea is to have your guests dress up in formal wear as if they are attending an actual Hollywood party. It's a great excuse to break out the formal gowns and tuxes. The second idea is to have your guests come dressed as their favorite movie character. It really depends if you want a more elegant party or more casual party. Be sure to indicate how you want your guests to dress somewhere on the invitation! The last thing you want is for a guest to feel out of place.
- Music. Creating mixed CDs filled with songs from famous movies is the perfect way to tie the theme altogether. You can even have your guests try to name what movie each song is from. Think "Eye of the Tiger" from Rocky, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz, "Tiny Dancer" from Almost Famous, and "Twist and Shout" from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The options are endless! You can even buy premade CDs at your local music store. Give bonus points for songs that are in more than one famous movie.
- Miscellaneous. There are a lot of little different things you can do to put the final touches on your Hollywood Movie party. It's all in the details, right? Sprinkle table confetti on the tables for an extra touch. Try to set up chairs in the living room like a movie theatre and play movies on the television for the guests to watch if they feel like it. Leave glitter top hats and movie-star sunglasses around the party for guests to have fun with. And to give your party that extra something!
There is a lot of planning and decision-making that goes into throwing the perfect theme party. Take your time and remember to have fun with it! Good luck to you and I'm sure your party will be such a success that your guests will be asking when the next theme party is going to be!