Hot chocolate is a delicious winter drink. Most people rely on store-bought hot chocolate mixes that come in single-serving bags, but you can make an even more delicious homemade hot chocolate mix. This mix makes an easy gift over the holidays, and is also great to keep on hand for anytime you want to make hot chocolate. Here's how to make a delicious hot chocolate mix:
Ingredients and supplies:
- 6 cups powdered milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup of cocoa
- 1 pinch (about 1/8 teaspoon) salt
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Blend the dry mixture. Add all of your dry ingredients to the blender. You may have to do this step in two batches, if your blender is too small. Make sure that the lid is firmly on the top of the blender, or the hot cocoa dust will go everywhere. Blend the cocoa mixture for several minutes. Once the blender is off, allow the dust to settle before removing the top. Although you can stir this mix by hand, blending it goes much faster and ensures that the mix will be evenly distributed.
- Store the mix. If you will be using this hot cocoa mix at home, store it in a sealed container. Plastic works well for this. It will keep for quite some time, at least for a few months.
- Package the mix as a gift. If you plan to give it as a gift, one good way to package it is in a clean glass canning jar, tied with a bright ribbon around the lid. This is a great gift for children to give to family members, teachers, and friends, because they can help with the mixing and packaging. You can also purchase a festive mug and include one serving of hot cocoa in a plastic bag tied with a ribbon. Don't forget to include instructions, both for making the cocoa and for mixing their own delicious hot cocoa mix.
- Mix with water. When you're ready to mix the hot cocoa, just mix it with hot water, just like you would use regular store-bought hot cocoa mix. Use a quarter cup of the cocoa mix with eight ounces of water. For a creamier version, substitute hot milk for half of the hot water. You can also add a little coffee, or even a dash of cayenne pepper, for a unique twist on regular hot chocolate.
- Enjoy! For an extra treat, add a dusting of cinnamon or cocoa powder on the top, or top with whipped cream or marshmallows.
Homemade hot cocoa mix is usually of better quality than the store-bought kind, and much less expensive per serving. You can adjust this mix to make as much or as little hot chocolate mix as you need, although it's very easy to make it in a large batch. With a larger blender, you could even double this recipe.