A high protein shake is a great way to get more protein on a daily basis. It can be used for a meal replacement shake, and is also popular for athletes or as a post-workout snack. You can use the protein shake as an opportunity to add not only proteins but also anything else you may be missing from your regular diet, such as antioxidants, flax or fish oil, calcium, or fiber. It may surprise you to learn that most homemade protein shakes taste great, unlike the variety that comes in a can. You can make them in nearly every flavor imaginable, so your high protein shakes will never become boring. Here's how to make your own high protein shake:
Ingredients and supplies:
- 3 scoops protein powder
- 1 cup fruit
- Other ingredients (almonds, peanut butter, coconut, cocoa powder, etc)
- 8-12oz liquid
- 4 large ice cubes
- Nutritional supplements (optional)
- Find the right protein powder. There are many different types and flavors out there, and some taste better than others. The most common types are whey protein and soy protein. Try to find one that is low in sugar and calories. You can choose from unflavored, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, or other flavors. You may need to compare a few before finding your favorite. Add three scoops of the protein powder to the blender first.
- Add fruit. Almost any fruit can be added to a high protein shake. Mango, pineapple, strawberries, banana, and blueberries all work well. You can use frozen fruit or anything that's in season. Use one type of fruit or create your own custom mixture. Chop the fruit up into pieces before adding it to the blender.
- Complete the flavor mixture. You can add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, or many other flavors, depending on how you want your high protein shake to taste. Consider the nutritional value of the items you are adding, since you probably want your high protein shake to be healthy. You can also add supplements like flax seed oil, fiber powder, probiotics, or creatine, to increase the nutritional profile of the shake. Some people even add a little chopped broccoli or spinach; the fruit taste should mask the vegetables.
- Add liquid. For this mixture to turn into a shake texture, you'll need to ad 8 to 12 ounces of milk, soy milk, juice, or any other liquid. Choose the liquid according to what will work well with the other flavors. Then add a handful of ice cubes. Start with a little less liquid than you think you will need; you can always add more later.
- Blend. Place the lid on the blender and blend thoroughly. Watch the mixture as it is blending; you may need to stop periodically to stir the mixture or add a little more liquid. Once it is thoroughly mixed, pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.
High protein shakes are an excellent choice for breakfast or after your workouts. It is an easy way to get more protein and other nutritional building blocks into your daily diet, and is very easy to make.