Do you love hot cocoa, and wish you could drink something similar during the hot summer months? You can enjoy hot chocolate in the summer by making it into an iced drink. Regular hot cocoa mixes just won’t taste the same as this recipe for making iced hot chocolate:
Ingredients and supplies:
3 3/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
Whipped cream (optional, for garnish)
Chocolate shavings (optional, for garnish)
Cocoa powder (optional, for garnish)
- Prepare the chocolate. Finely chop the chocolate. Smaller pieces are better because they will melt much faster. If you want to use chocolate shavings for garnish, shave a little extra chocolate now. Use the best quality chocolate you can find for the best iced hot chocolate drink.
- Mix the milk, water, and sugar. In the saucepan, mix three cups of the milk (reserving 3/4 cup for later), the water, and the sugar. Bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring constantly to help the sugar dissolve. Once the mixture comes to a boil and the sugar has dissolved, remove it from the heat. Do not boil the milk too long, or it will ruin the drink.
- Melt the chocolate. Immediately add the finely chopped chocolate to the warm liquid, and whisk until it melts into the milk-water mixture. If you wait too long, the mixture will have cooled to the point where the chocolate will have trouble melting. Do not leave any solid pieces; these will remain solid in the finished drink.
- Refrigerate the chocolate drink. Refrigerate this mixture for at least four hours in a covered bowl. You can also make this mixture a day ahead of time, as long as you keep it covered and refrigerated during this time.
- Blend with milk. Remove the mixture from the refrigerator, and pour it into the blender. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of milk, and blend the drink until it turns frothy.
- Serve. Fill four glasses with ice, and pour the frothy chocolate drink into the glasses. Garnish with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or a dusting of cocoa powder. Serve at once, before it has a chance to start melting.
This frozen hot chocolate recipe is delicious and refreshing on a hot summer day. It can even be served as dessert after a brunch or luncheon.