The risks of weight loss surgery are comparable to those of other major surgeries. You'll want to know that you are in the hands of a qualified surgeon. Here are some tips on how to choose a weight loss surgeon:
- Meet with several different surgeons. It's a good idea to meet with several different surgeons before deciding on a weight loss surgeon. Ideally, you should choose surgeons who specialize in each of the different weight loss surgery options that you are considering (i.e. gastric bypass, gastric band and duodenal switch) so that you can get their informed opinions on the different options available.
- Remember that weight loss surgery is a booming business. By meeting with surgeons who have different specialties, you'll begin to recognize that a surgeon who performs one type of weight loss surgery may say that you are not a good candidate for a different type of weight loss surgery in part because he does not perform that specific surgery himself. Surgeons are making huge amounts of money off of weight loss surgeries, and you must keep in mind the fact that weight loss surgery is a booming business and that weight loss surgeons want your business.
- Attend weight loss surgery support groups. Hearing the first-hand accounts of people who have already undergone the procedure you are considering can be an eye-opening experience. If there are no support groups in your area, you can find online support at ObesityHelp, which has bulletin boards for the different weight loss surgeries available.
- Research the particular surgeon you are considering. Once you have narrowed down the types of surgeries and the different surgeons you are considering, it is very important that you research the performance record of the individual surgeon who will perform your surgery. In other words, if the Better Life clinic says that its surgeons have performed x number of gastric bypass surgeries in the last 10 years, so what? You need to know how many times your surgeon has personally performed the surgery you have chosen, and his rate of complications.
- Don't let proximity influence your decision. Do not go to the closest surgeon; go to the best surgeon.
- Post-operative support. Remember that in addition to finding the right weight loss surgeon,, another key to success is finding post-operative support. Studies show a correlation between the length of time that a patient participates in a support group and the success of his long-term weight loss.
Weight loss surgery is a life-changing event. Visiting different surgeons with different specialties can educate you as to the risks and benefits of the various weight loss surgery options available, and help you to find the best weight loss surgeon available for your weight loss surgery procedure.