A missing tooth means a lot to a person, especially those concerned with their physical appearance. It might decrease the self esteem of a person, which might affect their usual way of life. It's a good thing that teeth implants and denture implants have been created. This is to artificially replace a missing tooth and make a person look their best again.
A dental implant is a method wherein an artificial tooth is embedded in replacement of a missing tooth. It is mainly used in prosthetic dentistry to restore teeth and it nicely resembles a missing tooth or set of teeth. Basic procedures for dental implants are as follows.
- First, the implants are surgically attached into the bone. This is done with local anesthetics and requires some span of time to heal. This is the most crucial part of dental implants because the dentist will have to make sure that the implant will be able to fuse with the bone correctly through the process known as "osseointegration."
- When the implants are healed, the next step is to place an anchor right below the implant. This anchor will serve as a support for a tooth or set of teeth that will be placed.
- The last phase is known as the restorative phase. This is when the dentist will take measurements or an impression of the teeth. The dentist then makes a prosthesis that will fit well and will look almost the same as the other teeth present. This is also the phase where the dentist will attach the made prosthesis into the implants. It will also take time for the prosthesis to adjust and fit with the remaining teeth. This procedure may also require several dental visits.
- Once this is fully healed and completed, your mouth will be restored to its natural appearance with a complete set of strong looking teeth.
The thing about dental implants that concerns people most is that it is very expensive. Costs of dental implants depend on the type of implant used. The most common and basic type of implant is made of titanium and resembles the size of a nail. Nowadays, mini dental implants have been designed to improve or prolong the support that the other implants can provide. It also eliminates possible discomfort that can be experienced with the use of the regular implants.
Aside from the implant, we also need to use dental veneers to complete the dental repair. Dental veneers are the prosthetics used as a replacement for the missing teeth. It is a cosmetic dental procedure that falls under the category of cosmetic dentistry. There are two types of dental veneers: composite resin and porcelain veneers. People say that composite resin is a much more reasonable veneer rather than the porcelain type.
Below are some disadvantages of porcelain compared to resin veneers.
- Porcelain veneers are fabricated in a dental laboratory and requires days to finish. It requires two or more dental visits to complete the process. Resin on the other hand, requires only one dental visit.
- Porcelain veneers are more expensive. Porcelain veneers require more time and resources to fabricate, therefore it costs more.
- Porcelain cannot be repaired while resin on the other hand is repairable. If a porcelain veneer breaks, a new one will be needed.
Due to the cost of dental implants plus the additional cost of dental veneers, people tend to just live with a missing tooth rather than spend money on it. The good news is we now have dental insurance that pays for our dental needs. It's never too late to have that perfect smile.