Ketosis may sound like an incurable disease or another kind of cell division like mitosis. The truth is (no matter how strange the word is) it is just a natural process that happens in our body, so there is nothing to worry about. What is more important is to know whether your body is in ketosis or not. When there is not enough glucose in your body, fats are converted into energy. This is a case of ketosis. Glucose is a kind of sugar that provides energy to your body. When you intake fewer carbohydrates, a source of glucose, your body will convert the stored fats into energy, which will eventually result in the production of ketone bodies. Ketone bodies are by-products of ketosis that will be released by your body through urine.
Why is it important to detect if your body is in ketosis or not? For those who want to lose weight, a body in ketosis uses the stored fats as energy, which makes losing weight simpler; and for those who are diabetics, it will help you to monitor and maintain your low carbohydrate diet.
The primary method to detect ketosis is by using a ketone-testing strip, so this article will focus on this method. A ketone-testing strip is a small plastic strip that has an absorptive pad on one end, is available in any pharmacy, and can be found among the diabetic supplies. It determines the level of ketone present in the urine.
- Simply dip the absorptive pad into a urine sample collected in a clean cup. Tap the edge to remove excess liquid and check the color of the strip after 10-15 seconds.
- It changes its color from beige, which indicates negative ketones, to pink or purple for a positive indication. Usually there are no ketones found in urine, so if the strip shows a pink or purple color then your body is in ketosis.
- However, this strip is so sensitive that sometimes it may exhibit a purple color only because the body is dehydrated, so be careful to follow the instructions before using these strips.
- While a beige color strip does not always mean that you are not in ketosis, if you think you have maintained your carbohydrates at a certain (low) level, then there is a possibility that you are in ketosis. It is just that some people use ketones efficiently, thus resulting in an absence of it in the urine.
- Another indication your body is in ketosis is that you are losing weight because of low carbohydrate intake. The body is automatically in ketosis when there is not enough glucose in the body. It may happen after three days of low carbohydrate diet, because the stored glucose provides fuels for our body for about three days.
Do you want to determine if you are losing weight in a natural manner? Do you want to monitor your carbohydrates intake? Try this method and see for yourself if your body is in ketosis or not.