Lemon water is easily made by dropping in a few slices of lemon onto a pitcher of water. It's a known fact that lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C, a vitamin that is important in keeping the immune system up and about. But it seems like we've only scratched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the health benefits of lemon water.
The concept is fairly simple. It is already well-documented that drinking an ample amount of water can help flush out toxins trapped inside the body. According to experts, adding lemon to the concoction makes it a lot healthier and more beneficial to the drinker. Despite being clearly acidic, due to the sour taste of the lemon, the end effect of drinking lemon water is the alkalizing of the fluids inside the body. An acidic environment will enhance the formation of free radicals. These free radicals are the notorious bugs that may trigger certain cells to behave inappropriately and cause malignancies. With lemon water, you can help keep these substances at bay.
Here are some of the other health benefits of lemon water, or "juice water" as some people would like to call it.
- Your skin will definitely clear up. Think of it as lemon cleansing. Your body retains plenty of waste products and your skin is one of the organs that manifest these waste products not passed off from the system. If you have great amounts of toxins in your body you can experience symptoms such as acne, blemishes and skin infections. With the use of lemon water, you can expect that your dermatological state to improve dramatically.
- Lemon water or "fasting water" can also be used to relieve the symptoms of gastrointestinal problems. It is claimed that problems such as esophageal reflux, heartburn, dyspepsia and even ulcers can be alleviated by lemon water. This also follows the same concept: The lemon water is said to help remove the toxins from the stomach and intestines, thus also eliminating disease-causing bacteria and parasites along the way.
- Weight loss is also being linked to the drinking of lemon water. This has something to do with the lemon and water helping you feel fuller, and therefore your hunger pangs go away, and you thus have an easier time controlling excessive eating.
- Lemon water is believed to be responsible in eliminating the hard deposits that eventually solidify and congest the draining ducts of the gall bladder. Gallstones can be the precursor for far more sinister complications. This is brought about by the clogging of the ducts that drain out the bile from the gall bladder.
- Lemon water has also been connected with better hair! While drinking of lemon water might not necessarily be directly related to improvement in hair, you can actually wash your hair with lemon water, which can help restore shine and luster to your hair.
- Lemon water is a diuretic, a substance that makes you urinate more often and in greater amounts. This makes your body cleaner and free of toxins. It also reduces the chances of stone formation in the kidneys or bladder.
Lemon water is an amazing asset to a healthy lifestyle. It's not too expensive to make. You can buy lemons in bulk from your grocery store or market, and store these in the refrigerator. When you prepare a pitcher of water, simply drop in a few slices of lemon, and watch your health improve over the weeks after drinking lemon water.