Constipation can be very distressing to us adults. It can give us a hard time. It can be very traumatic, too. Can you just imagine how a baby feels when he/she gets constipated?
Studies show that baby constipation can be prevented. For a parent to know what to do when times like these occur, it can be very comforting to think that you are helping your baby feel comfortable.
Here are some of the steps on how to avoid baby constipation:
- Practice breastfeeding. When the baby is breastfed, it gives us the comforting feeling that the baby will not experience constipation. Breast milk leaves too little residue to even cause constipation. It is completely utilized by the baby’s growing body. Babies that are fed with formulas are more prone to constipation. Formulas are harder to digest and are not completely absorbed by the baby’s body as compared to breast milk. Always make breastfeeding your number one option when feeding your baby.
- Give the right solid foods. When your baby reaches the age of solid feeding and you start introducing it to him/her, make sure that you are giving them the right food to eat. Fruits, vegetables and wholegrain foods are ideal. Avoid giving them junk food. They will surely have constipation if you feed them that.
- Give enough fluid intake. Lack of fluid intake can cause constipation even to adults. Give you baby enough fluids everyday to avoid their getting constipated. If it is possible that you increase the intake, do it.
- Keep your baby active. Play with your baby and keep him/her active. Move his/her legs in a bicycle motion to help enhance and aid their bowel movements. An active baby is less likely to become constipated.
- Give juice to your baby. Diluted grape juice and prune juice are most recommended to avoid baby constipation. Provide them with these twice daily and they will surely be free of constipation.
- Massage the stomach. Preferably during bath time, gently massage your baby’s stomach. Start at the navel, and gently massage outwards in a clockwise direction. This can help increase the food movement through the baby’s intestines.
- Give warm baths. According to some medical professionals recommend giving warm baths to babies, especially when experiencing constipation. It helps relax the baby and makes bowel movement easier for them. When drying up, a tummy massage is a good follow-up.
- Avoid dehydration. When the weather is warmer, give your baby more fluids. Make sure you baby is rehydrated. Dehydration can cause constipation, too.
Babies are so helpless that they can only cry when they are in pain. As parents, we always want the best for them. Let us be aware of the possible ways on how to keep our babies comfortable and happy. By knowing these few simple steps by heart, you are sure to get a smile from your baby every day. A happy baby means a happy mommy and daddy.