Genital warts are a contagious infection that can affect both men and women. This infection is a symptom of having human papillomavirus or HPV. Genital warts can spread through oral sex, anal sex and genital sex. Genital warts affect more men than women. Some of the symptoms of having male genital warts include small masses on the tip of the penis. They can also spread to the testicles and the anus. Another symptom of having genital warts is the itching of the penis and the anal area.
These are some of the tips on how to avoid getting male genital warts:
- Abstinence. Genital warts are one of the most common infections you can get when having intercourse. The best way to avoid having genital warts and other sexually transmitted infections or sexually transmitted diseases is to abstain from sex. This technique is one hundred percent effective to avoid male and female genital warts.
- Have Sex With Only One Person. The next best thing to abstinence is to avoid having sex with different people. It is also advisable that you and your partner be tested for any diseases and infections that you may have. By sticking to a single partner, you will both be sure that you do not give each other infections and diseases on your genitals.
- Use Protection. If you are sexually active, you always have to wear protection. Using condoms may not always be 100% effective because they may not cover the entire area of skin on the genital area. Using condoms will only lessen the chances of acquiring sexually transmitted infections such as genital warts.
- Symptoms. Some of the symptoms of genital warts are itching in the genital area and pink or flesh colored lumps on the genital area. When not treated for a long time, these lumps can grow into clusters to form a larger wart. Genital warts do not appear immediately after being infected. It usually takes up to three months for the genital warts to appear. The warts do not cause any pain but may be itchy and cause discomfort for infected people.
- Treatment. If you are experiencing some of the symptoms of genital warts, it is best that you consult your doctor as soon as possible so that you can be treated. There are different treatments for genital warts, depending on the severity. Some of the options are laser treatment, freezing and painting. You can also be given prescription medication for treating the infection.
These are some of the ways you can prevent having genital warts. Although genital warts are treatable, you always have to be protected when engaging in sexual acts. This ensures that both you and your partner remain healthy and infection-free. If you are not in a monogamous relationship and are sexually active, it is advisable that you be tested for sexually transmitted diseases and infections every so often. By doing this, you can be sure that you are clean and healthy.