Wanda Sykes is one hilarious lady. When asked why she brings extra underwear with her soon after she turned 46, her answer was: “When I was younger, I used to bring extra underwear in case I get lucky. Now I bring extra pairs just in case I sneeze!” By that she means in the event of uncontrollable body function like a bit of pee. This is called urinary incontinence.
Incontinence is caused by factors like old age, weakening of the pelvic muscles usually after having a baby, diabetes, and a host of other factors that can be treated by a doctor. Men are also at risk.
Aside from seeking medical attention, dealing with incontinence can be eased a bit by looking for supplies that address this health issue.
You can buy supplies online by reading through these how tos:
- Speak to your doctor to clarify the type of incontinence you are experiencing. Aside from fecal incontinence, there are 5 types which fall within the boundaries of urinary incontinence: Stress, functional, urge, overflow, and mixed. Diagnosis is primary followed by prevention and maintenance.
- You must have a list of incontinence supplies recommended by your doctor. The list will contain any of the following:
- Disposable diapers
- Protective underwear
- Dignity pads
- Belted undergarments
- Foam spray cleansers
- Panty shields
- Bed pans
- Wipes and deodorizers
- Find the brands that your doctor prefers or thinks would be best for you. Your doctor knows your medical history and would be in the best position to recommend the brands that won’t give you infection, cause rashes, and make you itch. Thus, his recommended brands are those with his seal of approval. Since you plan to buy these online, go as far as to ask your doctor if he has partner websites that deliver straight to the patient’s doorstep.
- Do your own research about the brands that your doctor prefers. You can interview the pharmacist who often fills your prescription or look it up online so that you know the benefits of using the brands most preferred by your doctor. You might even find a manufacturer of a certain brand who gives samples for free so people can test the efficacy. You just need to sign up and provide your contact details so the manufacture can send you a bag of samples.
- Visit the NAFC website. The National Association For Continence (NAFC) is the best and largest website dealing with this particular issue. Fee free to go through the resources in this website to give you valuable insights about this health issue. Click on this link for more: nafc.org
- Compare cost per piece. Your Social Security Check might be all that you have to buy your supplies so it really does help if you can break down your cost to per piece. For example, dignity pads that have 48 pads per pack cost $13.22 so when you whittle it down to single use per pad equals 0.28 cents while a case that has 384 pieces fetch $80.19 which amounts to 0.21 cents per piece. You have more savings when you buy volume orders. Vitality Medical at vitalitymedical.com offers this brand at their site exclusive of shipping for bulky items like diaper supplies and wheelchairs.
- Buy your supplies from a secure website. Make sure that you purchase your supplies from an encrypted website so that your account details are kept confidential. You will see various encryption seals like Verisign as well as a Private Policy clause that protects your identity, address, and your credit card information.
It’s inconvenient to experience incontinence but with the right doctor and the ideal health plan, you can definitely overcome this condition in time.