The thought of never having to wear eye glasses or contact lenses makes laser eye surgery a really good option for a lot of people. It treats far sightedness, near sightedness and astigmatism and it involves modern technology making the operation more efficient and effective. However, there are no 100% guarantees on the treatment, which is why if you are considering laser eye surgery, you should make an informed decision. Here are some tips on how to choose laser eye surgery clinics.
- Consult with your eye doctor whether laser eye surgery is an option for you or not. There are several medical conditions wherein laser eye surgery is not possible, such as pregnancy, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and other eye problems. If he says you can go ahead and have a laser eye surgery, ask your doctor for referrals. Make a list of the clinics and eye surgeons and make your own research from there. You can also search online for a list of eye laser clinics in your area.
- It is best to visit the eye laser clinics you have listed down, so you can see first-hand how each clinic looks like, including the condition of the facilities. Observe how the staff is treating the clients. Inquire about their services and also talk with the eye surgeon. He should be able to answer your concerns. Otherwise, cross him out of your list. Do not settle with visiting just one eye clinic and eye surgeon. You have several choices so make a wise decision.
- Once you have visited and inquired with several eye clinics, find out more such as the number of successful operations each eye doctor has done, any complaints or cases filed against the doctor, and the number of unsuccessful operations. Also find out where the eye surgeon has earned his degree and how long he has been performing eye laser operations.
- It is best to consider eye laser clinics that are affiliated with academic institutions where the eye doctors in the clinic also teach medical students. This shows that the doctors have the integrity and expertise in their field, and they have access to recent development and research.
- When visiting the eye clinics, talk to the people who are there. Ask them about their personal experiences with the clinic and the eye surgeon, and get first hand information. Of course, not all patients have the same situation and outcome after operation, so just take note of their insights and assess whether the information is useful or subjective.
- Talk to patients that have undergone successful eye laser operations and ask them about their experience. It is best to interview someone who has a similar condition as you have, because other patients may have a different situation and they may have undergone different treatment afterwards.
Remember to decide after you have gotten enough information. Do not be pressured by anyone else into having an eye surgery if you are not comfortable with it. Be aware that there are no guarantees. Nevertheless, go for the best clinic and follow the doctor’s advice to make sure your eyes are treated the right way.