Gingivitis is the condition of the gums that cause them to inflame. Symptoms like red, puffy and sometimes bleeding gums are indications of this condition. When a person has gingivitis, his gums tend to bleed whenever he brushes his teeth. If a person is able to detect it in its early stages, he will be able to control it and reverse its effect. Gingivitis, when not treated can lead to more severe gum diseases like periodontitis, a condition that is not reversible and lead to bone loss.
Here are the steps that you should follow to control gingivitis to improve health:
- Watch what you eat. Eating foods rich in Vitamin C will ensure that you will get enough nourishment that will help strengthen your teeth, like fruits and vegetables. Avoiding junk foods is also another way of avoiding gingivitis. Drinking supplements rich in vitamin C is ideal if you want a guarantee that you will have healthy teeth.
- Consult your dentist. Your dentist’s job is to keep your teeth healthy. Make sure to consult your dentist at least three times every year. Schedule appointments for regular cleanings with your dentist to achieve the cleaner teeth that brushing cannot give you. Brushing your teeth everyday will keep your teeth clean but a regular cleaning will remove the food deposits that accumulated inside your gums that brushing missed. Make it a point to keep your appointments. In the event that you cannot, call your dentist to reschedule.
- Choose a better toothbrush. A toothbrush that will reach every nook and corner of your teeth and gums can help prevent food deposits from accumulating in your gums. Ask your dentist to recommend a brand that might work best with your teeth. Ask your dentist for a toothpaste brand that will not only whiten your teeth but also take care of your gums. Toothpastes that contain baking soda will prevent the spread of harmful elements like bacteria and plague is ideal for this purpose. Choosing a mouthwash that will kill the remaining germs in your mouth is a good assurance that your teeth and gums always get protection.
- Massage your gums. Massaging your gums is a good way to increase blood flow within your gums. Another advantage of kneading your gums is that it helps strengthen the immune system of your gums.
- Control your vices. Smoking and drinking weaken the protective enamel of your teeth by encouraging the spread of bacteria in your mouth. These vices also reverse any positive measures you make to help cure gingivitis. Controlling your vices by drinking moderation and lessening the sticks of cigarette you smoke everyday may help prevent the spread of harmful organisms that thrive inside your gums.
- Use dental floss. Using dental floss after you eat will help remove food bits from hard to reach areas in your teeth. Sometimes, foods are stuck between your teeth and brushing alone cannot help remove it. Using a dental floss after you eat will prevent bacteria from having the chance to reach your gums.
Gingivitis is a condition that you should not ignore. It may lead to more severe diseases if left untreated. Taking care of your gums by following these tips will ensure that you can fight back and prevent the onset of gingivitis.