When women go through their menstruation cycles some experience pain and discomfort which is commonly referred to as dysmenorrhea. Women can experience regular or irregular periods. The menstruation cycle is affected by stress, medications, illness and activities. You may experience missed periods, regular periods, spotting or periods with heavy clotting and bleeding. Conditions like these are often caused by hormonal imbalance. Hormonal medicines or supplements are often used to correct irregular periods.
The most common causes for irregular menstrual cycle are:
- If you are tired, upset or uneasy your hormones can become unbalanced.
- A poor diet causing severe weight loss or gain also affects the hormones. People who are bulimic or anorexic also have irregular periods.
- Intense or excessive exercise can cause disorder on your body.
- Drug use like steroids or blood thinners is another cause of an irregular cycle.
- Treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation and dialysis can affect your cycle.
- Abnormalities in the uterus like fibroids, cysts, polyps and endometriosis are another cause.
- Trauma caused by emotional pressures from relationships, work or environment can cause your body to become unbalanced.
- Illness like endometrial cancer, anovulation, endometrial polyps and endometrial hyperplasia is another cause.
Irregular menstruation cycle can be corrected. Self-care is very important in the treatment of irregular periods. Here are some ways and means to correct irregular periods:
- Diet - Your food intake is the most important thing that affects your body. You should have the healthiest food in your everyday diet. Avoid white flour products, sugar, confectionery, rich cakes, strong tea, coffee, pickles and condiments.
- Relax - Being relaxed also helps correct irregular periods. Be sure to take little rest periods in between work time so that you will not run out of energy. Do some Kapalabhati Pranayam, which is a form of yoga for 15-20 minutes twice a day. This helps you to relax.
- Natural preparations - There are also some natural or concocted preparations that can correct irregular periods:
- Boil 1 teaspoon saffron in 1/2 cup water until it is reduced to 1 tablespoon, then divide it into three portions and take it with equal quantities of water, three times a day for a couple of days.
- Grind or pound some fresh ginger and boil in a cup of water, then add a little sugar and take it three times a day after meals.
- Grind dried almond peel, then mix with water and honey and drink for several days.
- Take juice of holy basil leaf with honey and black pepper powder twice a day for 4-6 weeks.
- Skin 2-3 aloe leaves and collect the pulp then bring to a boil till it becomes brown. Let it cool then mash it to make a paste. Take a teaspoonful with water or apple juice every morning on an empty stomach for 5-7 days.
- Drink 75 ml of parsley juice daily.
- Drink a preparation made up of 2 dissolved aspirins, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of honey into 1/2 cup of water.
You need to make yourself aware of what affects the menstrual cycles so you can readily correct it. Awareness of facts about menstruation can cause you a lot of comfort since you'll know what to expect and what to do.