Coumadin is a type of drug that is administered to patients in order to make the blood thinner. It is an anti-coagulant that reduces the risk of having blood clots in the body. This drug can prevent a patient from having heart attacks and strokes because the clots do not form in the arteries and veins. Taking Coumadin can have serious side effects that can affect the patient negatively. It is important to know the different side effects and how to deal with them.
Here are some tips on how to counter Coumadin side effects:
- Dosage. Coumadin can be taken in different dosages. Do not self-medicate on this type of drug. You have to consult your physician so that you can be given the right dosage of Coumadin and lessen the amount of side effects that you can experience. It is reported that Coumadin can cause patients to bleed when given a high dosage on the first usage. When you experience this, it is important to let your physician know immediately.
- Medical conditions. You also have to let your physician know if you have existing medical conditions. There are some conditions where intake of Coumadin can cause adverse side effects. Some of these include ulcer, kidney disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, pregnancy and a lot more.
- Follow doctor’s orders. In order to prevent experiencing the side effects, follow your doctor’s orders to the letter. Do not take the drug longer than you should and do not increase or decrease the dosage without the advice of your doctor. Occasionally, your doctor can change the dosage to avoid the side effects and so that you can get the best out of the medicine.
- Common side effects. Some of the common side effects of Coumadin can include blood in urine, nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, nosebleeds, diarrhea, loss of appetite or numbness. These side effects are also common side effects of other drugs, such as Zoloft, Zocor and Advair. As soon as you experience these side effects, you have to consult your doctor so that your condition can be monitored. Your doctor may prescribe you with a new medicine that may be better for you. You may or may not experience these side effects.
- Drink lots of water. When you are taking Coumadin, or any kind of drug, you have to keep yourself hydrated and drink lots of water. This way, your blood will circulate better and the fluids in your body can be regulated. You can also get rid of a lot of body toxins when you drink lots of water by urinating more often.
These are some of the tips you can use to counter the side effects of Coumadin. Remember that you should only take this drug upon the advice of the doctor and should never prescribe medicines to yourself. It will also help if you research on the side effects of the drug on the Internet so that you know what to expect when you take the medicine.