When your stomach is upset it is difficult to concentrate or even get through your day. There are tons of over the counter stomach aids available at your local pharmacist. If you wish to cure a stomach ache and keep it from coming back, follow these steps.
- Find out the source of your ache. Don't start treating until you know the source of your pain. Your stomach is a big area so start by pinpointing your pain. Is there tightness in your lower abdomen or intestines? Or is there a burning high in your stomach?
- Stay hydrated. You need to drink water each and every day, no matter what. Dehydration can cause your stomach ache, tightness in your intestines and constipation. Drinking eight glasses of water each day helps your body function properly and without it your stomach is the first to feel pain and tightness.
- Eat some crackers. Often pain in your stomach is caused by hunger or something disagreeable you have eaten. Fill the hunger with a few crackers to take the edge off. The crackers will also provide something to mix with any bacteria or other disagreeable items you may have consumed.
- Relax. Stress is bad for your stomach. Take some time to stop, breathe deeply and let go of some of the stress you are carrying. Stand up stretch and take a walk to relax. This will also help loosen any tension your stomach is holding due to the ache you feel.
- Sip a clear, carbonated beverage. Beverages such as ginger ale, 7up and Sprite are perfect for a stomach ache. These drinks provide a small rush of sugar in combination with the carbonated bubbles that help your stomach relieve some pain and gas.
- Maintain a regular high-fiber diet. When your stomach aches often you need to take a look at your diet. If you aren't drinking enough water, start doing so. Then check your fiber intake. If your digestive system is not working with a steady flow you will back up and feel the pain. You may also suffer constipation or diarrhea, both of which make your stomach ache. Consuming high fiber foods will help you regulate your digestive system.
- Give up the harmful things. This means you stop taking aspirin and other pain relievers that bother your stomach. It also means getting rid of the caffeine and acid that comes with drinking coffee and soda. Put away the spicy dishes and any other foods that cause your stomach upset.
- Wait it out. Sometimes whatever is ailing you just needs to work its way out of your system. Give your body the chance to work itself out by eating mild, healthy meals.
Stomach aches can distract you from the rest of your life. Before you start chewing antacids or running to the doctor, try some of these steps. You might cure your stomach ache in no time.