Vitamin C is an important building block in our bodies. Also known as ascorbic acid, this antioxidant is essential for the absorption of many other vitamins, and also helps in the formation of collagen, which is found in muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Vitamin C can also help with healing and is often recommended to shorten the duration of colds or other illnesses. Here’s how to eat more vitamin C:
- Eat fruits. Incorporating fruits into your diet is the easiest way to eat more vitamin C. By simply choosing your favorite fruits, there’s a good chance that you will be getting plenty of vitamin C in your diet. Generally, citrus fruits are the best choice for vitamin C.
- Choose the right fruits. If you want to increase your vitamin C intake even more, concentrate on the types of fruits you are choosing, because some fruits contain several times as much vitamin C as others. Although the orange is often touted as a good source of vitamin C, in fact other fruits contain more. Guavas, kiwis, and the unique camu camu contain up to 30 times as much vitamin C as oranges do. Grapefruit is another fruit that is a great source of vitamin C; in general, citrus fruits are always a good choice.
- Drink fruit juices. You don’t just have to eat whole fruits to get your recommended daily allowance of vitamin C. Orange juice is a perennial favorite, but other unique flavors can be found, such as guava juice. Fresh squeezed citrus juices are the best choice if you’re looking to drink more vitamin C. If you become bored with eating whole fruits, add them to a fruit smoothie, or chop them up to make fruit-based salads or other dishes.
- Eat vegetables. Most people think that only fruit contains vitamin C, but this is far from the case. You may be surprised to learn that many varieties of peppers also contain as much vitamin C as an orange, if not more. Sautéed or stir fry vegetables are the best choice because they will retain more vitamin C than vegetables cooked for longer periods of time. Avoid overcooking your vegetables, because this can result in the loss of most of the vitamin C.
- Reduce your stress levels. Stress causes your body to use up more vitamin C. Lower your stress levels to help your body make better use of the vitamin C you are eating.
- Consider vitamin supplements. If you find it difficult to get enough vitamin C in your diet alone, you may want to consider vitamin supplements. However, be aware that it is possible to take in too much vitamin C this way. You should get about 60mg of vitamin C per day. Larger doses can lead to kidney stones, although in most cases your body is able to pass unwanted vitamin C through the urine.
Vitamin C is very important for your overall health. Luckily, there are many delicious ways to eat more vitamin C. Although the most popular choices are citrus fruits, many other fruits and vegetables contain high levels of vitamin C.