An iron supplement is given to a person who lacks iron in the body. Iron supplements are typically given to people who are suffering from anemia. Anemia is a condition wherein the body has less red blood cells that are needed. One of the causes of anemia is iron deficiency. That is why an iron supplement is given to anemia patients. Some people try to self-medicate. This is not good, especially if you have no medical background.
If you need an iron supplement, here are some tips about how to find a safe one that you can take:
- Consult the doctor. The best thing to do is to consult a doctor regarding the type of iron supplement that your body needs. There are different types of iron supplements that are given to persons with different body types. The doctor may run some tests on you to figure out which iron supplement is best for your body. Some of the common iron supplements are Fer-Iron, Femiron and Feratab. Most iron supplements are taken orally but in more severe cases of iron deficiency, it can be administered through an IV.
- Take the correct dosage. In order to be safe while taking an iron supplement, you have to follow the dosage that the doctor has prescribed for you. Some are given daily supplements while others do not have to take them daily. You should not go over the dosage because this might cause unwanted effects on your body. There is such a thing as iron poisoning and you can experience this if you take in too much iron.
- Know the side effects. If you experience side effects because of the iron nutrition supplement that you are taking, you must consult your doctor immediately. Some of the common side effects of taking iron supplements are being constipated or having lose bowel movement. If you are experiencing other side effects, consult your doctor.
- Take natural iron supplements. Another way to make sure that you are safe, is to try using natural iron supplements. These supplements have all natural ingredients so there are less chemicals that enter the body. It is best to ask your doctor about this before trying it.
- Eat an iron diet. Before going for iron supplements, you can try an iron diet. In your daily meals, include iron rich foods, such as chicken pork or beef liver, oysters, clams, mussels, beans, tofu and whole grains. Have 2-3 servings of iron rich foods for each meal so that you can increase the iron in your body and you won't have to resort to iron supplements.
These are some of the tips that you can use so that you can choose a safe iron supplement. Iron benefits us, as it is the one that is responsible for giving oxygen to the cells in our body. Other benefits of having the right supply of iron include increasing the body's immune system, preventing us from experiencing insomnia and increasing the body's energy levels which keeps you more active.