Prostate cancer is a slow-growing cancer in the male reproductive organ that can spread to other parts of the body, more particularly to the lymph nodes and the bones. The cancer affects mostly those men in their fifties and may not be realized because the cancer may never manifest any symptoms and therefore can be diagnosed later when the cancer has spread and affected other organs or the patient may die due to a disease totally unrelated to the prostate cancer.
The causes of prostate cancer are still unknown, but the risks can be attributed to a man's age, lifestyle, medications, race, genetics and diet.
Though some patients rely on surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatments to fight the further growth of the prostate cancer cells, others want to find other non-invasive forms of treatments. Here are some ideas.
- There is a higher rate of success for using conventional treatment such as radical prostatectomy when the prostate cancer is still in the A and B stages wherein the growth is still confined to the prostate glands. Recovery time from the surgery can take up to six months.
- Alternative therapies for prostate cancer involve several changes in your lifestyle and daily routine. There is a list of things to avoid and you will need to change your diet. You may also be required to take oral nutritional supplements, have a new exercise program, and undergo stress management training and hormonal balancing process.
- Avoid smoking, drinks containing caffeine, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, refined starch and sugar and fatty foods. Most prostate cancer victims also suffer from high-blood pressure. Your diet must include fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, juices from organically-grown fruits and vegetables, limited amount of some nuts, seeds, meat, fish, organic poultry and eggs. Distilled and spring water are recommended.
- Increase your oral supplements consisting of vitamins, mineral, omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids and enzymes. It will also be beneficial to take higher doses of vitamins A, C, D, E and B3 and other B vitamins.
- Embark on a new exercise program that will be drawn out for you by a qualified therapist. Detoxification is recommended. Further research is being conducted regarding the effects of pomegranate juice to prevent the recurrence of prostate cancer. Current research findings have very positive results. Lycopene-rich foods are also recommended, as these are high in antioxidants that keep the cells healthy. Sunshine and fresh air also help keep your cells and your entire body healthy.
- Chinese medicine or more commonly known and Traditional Chinese Medicine can be an alternative form of prostate cancer treatment. They have time-tested herbal recipes and methodologies that have done wonders. The method involves searching and identifying the inequalities inside and outside your body and restoring the balance. It can involve acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, food therapy and breathing exercises and techniques.
- Visit the Health Communities website to learn more about alternative approaches to cancer treatments. For in-depth knowledge on prostate cancer and clinical trials, visit the National Cancer Institute website.
Consult a qualified naturopathic physician before embarking on alternative treatments for prostate cancer. Have a thorough body examination and work together with the physician to ensure that you recover and prevent the cancer from recurring.