While we often read about the thousands of ways people can try to lose weight, it is easy to forget that there are some who need to gain weight. If you want to gain weight, there are many things you can do. At the very least you need to eat more calories than you burn. In order to gain one pound you must eat 3500 calories more than you burn. To gain rapidly, you need to eat calorie dense foods. Follow these steps and you can gain weight with little effort.
- Eat six meals a day. Eating more often gets your body attuned to eating more often. This means that after a few days of eating more meals, your body will come to expect them and will get hungry more often. This plan suggests you eat three regular sized meals each day plus three snacks.
- Add 200 calories per meal. To add weight rapidly, you should increase 500 – 600 calories per day. To do that you should increase your caloric intact at each large meal by 200 calories. The other option is to have three regular meals and then make your three snacks the same size for six full size meals.
- Increase your dairy intake. Dairy won’t make you gain weight on its own but dairy tends to be very calorie dense. Similar to beet and chicken, you can get a calorie dense meal with a fair amount of fat at the same time. Choose from a variety of cheeses made from whole milk.
- Stop for lunch at a fast food establishment. Eating regular fast food meals will not help you gain weight healthfully but it will help you gain weight. If you want to speed up your weight gain to more than two pounds per week, you should have at least one fast food meal per day but be sure to watch your cholesterol levels.
- Increase your liquid calories. Add fruit juice, regular soda or even high calorie energy drinks to your diet to replace diet soda and water and you will see the weight climb quickly. These drinks offer little to no nutritional value but can contain several hundred calories, which will speed up your weight gain.
Gaining weight is not always easy for those who need it. By combining these steps and making adjustments to your diet, you too can gain weight.