Leg pain is not something anyone wants to deal with. Leg pain is one thing that people complain about when visiting their doctors. Leg pains can be caused by different things. The most common is when you exert too much effort in doing activities, such as exercising, running or jogging. Before popping pain medications, it is advisable to try other remedies first to try and eliminate the pain.
Here are some things that you can do in order to get rid of leg pains or leg cramps:
- Take hot shower or soak in warm water. Before going to bed, take a hot shower to relieve the burning pain on your leg. If you want a more relaxing experience, you can also soak your legs in warm water. You can add peppermint oil to the warm water to help relieve the pain.
- Put equal weight on feet. Another cause of leg or foot pain is when you stand with unequal weights on your feet. If you are going to stand for a long time, the best thing to do is to stand straight and put equal weight on your feet. By doing this, you will not have an unequal balance and no foot will carry more weight than the other.
- Avoid uncomfortable shoes. For ladies, it is best to stick to flat shoes, especially if you have to stand or walk for a long period of time. Wearing uncomfortable shoes, such as high heels can strain the muscles of the legs and feet and this can cause leg pains.
- Massage feet and legs. Another home remedy that you can do to alleviate severe leg pains is to massage your legs and feet with herbal oils. Some of the oils that are said to reduce pain are coconut oil, almond oil and mustard oil. It will also help if you use warm oil. Massage your legs with a downward motion, starting from under the knees.
- Eat calcium and potassium rich foods. Eating calcium rich foods is one thing you can do to make your bones stronger. This can also get rid of leg pain. Some of the foods that you have to have in your diet include milk, cheese, nuts and green leafy vegetables.
- Practice yoga. This is one exercise you can do to get rid of body aches and pains. By doing yoga, you will learn to strengthen your muscles and bones. You will become more flexible and this activity can also relieve sore muscles and get rid of toxins inside the body.
These are some of the things that you can do to avoid having pain symptoms or leg pains. If you see that there is no improvement after you have done these things, you might have to consult a doctor as you may have a more serious pain that needs medical attention. You may be prescribed with pain medication. You can also undergo leg therapies or Chinese acupressure point. Acupressure is similar to acupuncture but instead of using needles, pressure is used on the points on the body.