Veins showing on the arms, also called varicose veins, are unsightly, especially among ladies. In fact, they are a common cause of self-consciousness and sometimes embarrassment. Veins prominently appear because they expand, and their bluish color is due to the deoxygenated blood that passes through them. Although not as common as leg varicose veins, varicose veins on the arms must be properly corrected. There are many ways to do this, and following are some of them.
- Commit yourself to exercises and other forms of physical activities. You have to remember that inactivity can cause your veins to prominently show on your arms. Therefore, it is recommended to be involved in exercises and physical activities. Those that can improve the cardiovascular system should particularly be applied, since they can improve the blood flow through your veins. Some of the best cardiovascular activities are running, swimming, and biking. Do the exercises and activities of your choice at least 30 minutes to one hour everyday.
- Take a healthy diet. Diet that improves blood circulation should also be taken. Foods that promote good flow of blood include salmon, tuna, eggs, walnuts, oranges, and watermelon. Generally, you should stop or cut down your intake of alcohol and caffeinated products, as these can worsen your varicose veins.
- Eat blood circulation supplements. There are many blood circulation supplements available these days. Choose the one from which you think you will benefit most. If you can, ask your personal physician for suggestions or read consumer reviews. Remember, however, that such supplements cannot completely remove your varicose veins. They will only work to improve your blood circulation and therefore help improve the appearance of the veins.
- Consider sclerotherapy. Sclerotherapy is a vein treatment that is gaining popularity nowadays. This treatment calls for a saline solution injection into the arm, which will minimize the size of the veins until they become less visible. Talk to your doctor about the possibility of you undergoing this treatment.
- Undergo surgical vein litigation. This procedure is done to fix a leaky valve. It involves tying off the vein so that no blood can flow. Surgical vein litigation is safe and usually painless.
- See if a laser treatment will improve the appearance of your varicose veins. Laser treatment is also something you can consider trying to correct your varicose veins. This treatment makes use of a laser light that shrinks the veins. This procedure, however, has to be repeatedly done. Yet, it renders promising results. Again, ask your doctor if you will benefit from this kind of treatment.
It may be necessary to visit your doctor if your veins are swelling and painful. Your condition might be an indicative of phlebitis, especially if your symptoms appear following an injection. Phlebitis is a condition resulting from the inflammation of superficial veins (veins in close proximity to the body’s surface) and blood clot (thrombosis). Your doctor will check your veins and may run an ultrasound to see where the blot clot is. Fortunately, phlebitis normally disappears after a few days following a good rest and intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.