Sore throat usually occurs when one has a common cold or cough. It may also be caused by bacterial growth in the throat. Sore throat should be treated immediately because it is very uncomfortable and it is difficult to swallow and breathe when one has it. Here are several remedies to heal sore throat while it is just starting.
- Rock salt. Use rock salt dissolved in warm water as gargle. The salt helps kill the bacteria in the throat, so gargle in a way that the solution reaches the throat, and not just the mouth. Do not use synthetic salt or iodized salt.
- Apple cider vinegar. Mix apple cider vinegar mixed with water as gargle. Add one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. You can add more of the vinegar if you want a stronger solution, as long as you can take it. You can actually gargle and swallow the apple cider vinegar solution. After gargling with this solution, rinse your mouth and teeth with water because the vinegar may damage the enamel of your teeth.
- Warm beverages. Warm tea with honey is a good drink since aside from soothing the throat, tea also has anti oxidants that can help boost the immune system. Honey also relieves sore throat.
- Lemon juice and honey. You can also mix lemon juice with honey and drink it to relieve your sore throat, at the same time providing your body with much needed vitamin C and water. Avoid using juice mix, whether powders or concentrated ones. Use only freshly squeezed lemon juice and natural honey.
- Coffee. If you are on the go and cannot stay home to rest, then there is good news – coffee is also good for sore throat when you have common colds. It is best to use honey as a sweetener, though, as table sugar only aggravates sore throat. Also forego with the creamer.
- Boiled ginger. Another natural remedy for sore throat is boiled ginger. Chop a piece of ginger and boil it in water, then drink the tea when it is lukewarm. Add some honey to make it taste better. You will feel a tingling sensation in your throat, but that only means it is working. People who have sore throat due to singing and prolonged talking (like teachers and telephone operators) use this remedy, too.
- Whiskey. One unconventional remedy is drinking whiskey to relieve sore throat. This may work for some, but it is best to take the safer and more natural remedies first. Avoid getting drunk in an attempt to heal your sore throat.
- Lozenges. Lozenges are available in the supermarket and drug stores and are safe for teens and adults with sore throat. Suck the lozenge to soothe the throat. Do not chew on it. However, do not suck on lozenges all day as it may burn your tongue and affect your sense of taste.
You can also visit the doctor for medical remedies especially if your sore throat persists for more than two days even after you have tried several home remedies. Do not ignore the symptoms. Seek medical advice sooner.