Have you ever had a moment that while you were talking with someone, that someone became uncomfortable and you wondered why? You might think that he doesn’t like the topic or maybe he doesn’t agree with you or worse – you have bad breath. Yes, bad breath is a common yet serious problem.
Research shows that most of us are not aware that we have bad breath. This is because our noses filter and take no notice of the odors coming from our mouth. To determine if you have bad breath, the best thing to do is to ask a person close to you. He may be your best friend or a family member. This may sound awkward, but it can help you know if you have bad breath.
Bad breath is sometimes caused by a lack of good oral hygiene. Eating foods like garlic and onions (which contain volatile oils and have odor-causing compounds), smoking and other medical disorders are other possible causes. Whatever the cause, we should determine all the possible solutions to improve our breath and eliminate this halitosis problem.
There are some important things that you should do to have fresh breath so everyone will feel comfortable when talking to you.
- Having good oral hygiene is the most important thing to do to get rid of bad breath. It’s not enough to brush your teeth twice a day. It will be more appropriate if you brush your teeth after every meal. Brush your teeth properly for about 1-3 minutes. Flossing your teeth will ensure complete removal of bits of food in between your teeth. Remember to brush your tongue as well.
- According to a certain advertisement, brushing alone is not enough, so use gargle or mouthwash.
- Chewing gums without sugar can also help. They can hide bad breath as well as increase saliva production, which prevents the mouth from drying. Chewing gum, however, should never replace brushing of teeth.
- Minimize your intake of food that causes bad breath.
- If some food causes bad breath, there are also some foods that can remove it. Fiber-rich vegetables such as celery, fruits like apples, yogurt, and herbs like parsley and more are good examples.
- Drink plenty of water. Keeping your body properly hydrated helps it in its own cleansing process and can help prevent bad breath.
- Cease smoking and drinking alcohol. It will not only keep your breath fresh but can also keep you healthy.
- Don’t skip breakfast, because an empty stomach forms acids that may cause bad breath.
- Visit your dentist regularly to check if you have cavities, and have your teeth cleaned.
Remember that bad breath will not bother you as long as you know how to handle it. Always be sure that you have fresh breath everyday to avoid embarrassing situations and to help you make a good impression on the person you are talking to. Save your social life, make more friends and be more confident in yourself.