Most people do not get enough fruits and vegetables into their diets. These foods contain many vitamins, as well as fiber and other nutritional building blocks. In fact, fruits and vegetables are among the healthiest foods you can eat. If you're trying to improve your health, a great way to do so is by eating more of them. Here's how to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet:
- Eat at home. If you eat at home frequently, you're more likely to eat fruits and vegetables than if you eat at restaurants or get fast food. Keep your fridge stocked with vegetables your family likes and that you know how to cook at mealtimes. Always be prepared to cook at least one fruit or vegetable side with each meal.
- Learn to cook. Many people skip their vegetables because they don't like the taste, but learning to cook them in a variety of ways can make eating fruits and vegetables fun and interesting. If you want to eat more fruits and vegetables, try expanding your horizons. Try new foods that you see at the grocery store, and get a cookbook that has interesting fruit and vegetable-based recipes. You may get bored if you're always eating your fruits and vegetables raw and plain. You can make vegetarian side dishes or even vegetarian main dishes.
- Make substitutions. If you must eat out, make substitutions so that you get a serving of fruit or vegetables instead of French fries or other side dishes. This is even possible at some fast food restaurants. It's an easy way to enjoy eating out while incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet. Most restaurants would be glad to make such substitutions, if you ask for them.
- Eat fruits and veggies for snacks. Make eating fruits and vegetables as easy as possible for the whole family. Keep containers of washed and cut vegetables in a designated spot in the refrigerator to be packed for lunch or eaten as a snack. Make sure to keep lots of easy-to-eat fruits and vegetables in your home at all times, and make an effort to grab these before any other snacks.
- Eat fruits for breakfast or dessert. Fruits have natural sugar that should satisfy your craving for a sugary breakfast treat. This natural sugar also makes them an excellent choice for dessert.
You should eat at least five servings of fruits or vegetables per day, but today, most people are not getting this recommended amount. By making a conscious effort to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, you are improving your overall health and well-being.