Brain power is correlated to intelligence. Using your brain power has been shown to counter the effects of aging. When you keep your mind sharp, you can stay younger longer and you can be more productive.
There are several things you can do to increase your brain power.
- Use it or lose it. The human brain is a muscle that atrophies with lack of use. Stay alert, keep reading and keep yourself stimulated. Learn new things every day. Just like you forget a language that you don’t regularly use, your brain needs to be exercised to stay sharp. Keep your brain working even when you are resting or when there is dead time. Try to learn a new language or listen to a book on tape or classical music when you’re stuck in traffic. When you’re folding laundry, try to do some mental gymnastics by playing word games and amalgams.
- Challenge yourself. When you learn a new skill, new connections in your brain are maid. More connections mean more activity and bigger brain! Try to take up a new activity to keep yourself constantly challenged. Play with puzzles such as Sudoku puzzles, crossword puzzles and other challenging and mentally stimulating games. Learn to play a musical instrument or learn a language to help stimulate various cortexes in the brain.
- Eat the right type of foods. Consuming brain food will help your brain such as broccoli, sprouts, spinach and oranges. This includes foods high in omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon. Studies have shown that there is a correlation between high amounts of fish and low levels of depression. Olive oil has been shown to improve memory. Eating nuts have been shown to improve test scores because of the minerals and amino acids present that contribute towards the health of your brain. Avoid foods that trigger allergies. When you’re feeling sick, your thinking gets affected.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is the time your body recuperates and processes the stress and input during the day. When you don’t reach deep sleep and the REM stage, your brain function decreases. Everything in your body is affected including the way you metabolize food or the way it wards off illnesses. If your brain doesn’t release enough serotonin levels, your body will be imbalanced, affecting your brain power and activity.
- Drink the proper supplements. In young babies, infant formula is supplemented with Taurine and DHA to help brain development. In adults, try to stay sharp by taking ginkgo biloba to improve your memory and concentration skills. Take omega-3 fatty acids to help you focus and problem solving skills.
- Get more oxygen in your head. Take a deep breath and focus on your breathing. When you take in oxygen, the blood flow to your brain increases, helping your to decrease stress and improve concentration. You’ll be able to focus and think more clearly after taking a few deep breaths.
- Get creative. Paint, write or play a musical instrument. When you tap into your creative side, a different part of your cerebral cortex is stimulated. If you can’t do it yourself, listen to Mozart. Even pediatricians suggest you play Mozart for little babies because his music has been shown to increase brain wave patterns.
There are so many more things you can do to increase the power of your noggin. The power of your brain is an untapped source of unlimited potential so use what you can and expand your horizons.