Think you cannot have super-powered brains? Think again. Sure, you might not reach the processing speeds of a computer or even a calculator, but there is a way to help you boost your brain power so that you can think faster and more efficiently. Here is how to increase the brain’s processing speed:
- Take care of your body. Contrary to popular belief, exercise helps you increase your brain’s processing speed by keeping your brain cells and body healthy. Running, aerobics and sports are not only good for your body but also improve memory thereby strengthening your brain. They can also help you ward off cognitive diseases.
- Drink lots of water. Since our bodies are made up mostly of water, you need to drink lots of it to keep your brain hydrated and primed. Caffeinated and sugary drinks actually decrease your brain’s processing speed so make sure to avoid those and get at least ten glasses of water a day. Also avoid drinking alcohol as this can slow down not just your reflexes but also your brain power. Alcohol kills brain cells so refrain from downing it.
- Eat the right foods. It is very important that you eat properly to stay healthy but eating the right kinds of food is especially important for increasing your brain’s processing speed. Specifically, consuming foods high in Acetylcholine will help improve your brain power. This chemical is extremely critical to your memory systems and your brain’s processing speed and without it, in serious cases, you could be facing Alzheimer’s disease. However, having too much can also be harmful to your health and well-being, as it may induce feelings of paranoia – but this is rarer. These foods are a good source of choline, which helps produce Acetylcholine: almonds, broccoli, eggs, tuna, sardines, ice cream, whole/skim milk, bacon, sausages, low fat yogurt, cheeses and sour cream, lettuce, cucumber and most other fruits and veggies. Some other foods also seem to stimulate the brain such as chocolates.
- Get enough sleep. The right amount of sleep and rest helps refresh both your body and mind. Proper sleeping habits maintain your body’s rhythm, ensuring that you are alert and not groggy when you need to be. If you lack sleep, you are prone to confusion, irritability and poor reflexes and reaction time. Make sure that you sleep early every night and get seven to nine hours of sleep a day.
- Challenge your brain. If you want to increase your brain’s processing speed, you need to work it out so that it can become more powerful. Engaging in mental exercises helps improve your brain power. Try nifty and challenging brain puzzles to help speed up your neural processes. Solve logic puzzles to help sharpen your mind. Memory games, Sudoku puzzles, chess, crosswords, solving a Rubik’s Cube among others, are excellent ways to help you become better and faster thinkers. Also, being able to properly handle your emotions and anxieties can also strengthen your brain power. Of course, learning and exercising your mind is always a great mental exercise.
Increasing your brain’s processing speed can be challenging but fun. It
is all about taking care of your body and avoiding bad habits. Follow
these steps and you will be able to release your inner genius in no