Everyday, thousands of people die around the world because of high blood pressure that can lead to heart attack. It’s a silent killer that can kill you instantly without a warning. Though you can get this in any age, it’s most common to older people. Unhealthy eating habits and lifestyle are the most common causes of this. You need to take of yourself to prevent this from happening to you. There are different ways on how to prevent this and maintain a normal blood pressure.
Here are the steps on how you can keep high blood pressure under control.
- Consult your doctor. Even if you’re not feeling anything bad, be vigilant and check if your weight is normal. Overweight people tend to have high blood pressure. There are sites online which allow you to see if your weight is normal to your age and height. You can also go to the doctor so that he can check your overall health. As they say, prevention is always better than cure. It’s better if you go to the doctor for an annual check-up so that you’re sure that you’re in good health.
- Lose weight. If the result shows that you’re overweight, start losing weight immediately. This does not mean that you need to go on a crash diet. Rather, you need to start right away to exercise and eat healthy to lose weight slowly but surely. Spend at least 30 minutes a day for exercise. If you can’t go to the gym, you can walk in the park, run or bike. It’s not how hard the workout that matters, the amount of time spent is what matters most. Swimming is also a good way to exercise because it uses all of your body parts. Make sure to do stretching before you exercise to avoid injury.
- Take prescribed medicines. If you have high blood pressure and the doctor gave you medications, make sure to take the correct dosage and on the correct time prescribed by the doctor. This will help control your high blood pressure.
- Cut down your salt and sodium intake. Make sure to watch the food that you eat. Read the labels on the packaging to see the amount of salt and sodium on the food. Fatty foods should be avoided as well. Replace unhealthy foods with fruits and vegetables. Nuts, grains and low-fat dairy products help blood pressure to become lower. Add this to your daily menu to control your high blood pressure. Also, the food that you are eating should be fresh so that it still contains the nutrients that you need.
- No alcohol. If you love drinking alcoholic drinks, it’s time to say goodbye to these. Alcohol can make your blood pressure higher. Instead of drinking alcohol, drink plenty of water. If you’re in a party, there are always fruit juices available like mango juice, pineapple juice, orange juice and apple juice that you can take instead of alcoholic drinks.
- Purchase a blood pressure monitor. Affordable blood pressure monitors are now being sold. You can purchase one of these to monitor your blood pressure.
Exercise and eat healthy to keep your blood pressure under control and live a happy, long life.