Macular degeneration is the gradual weakening of the center of the retina, a tissue lining the inner surface of the eye. This is when you experience blurry vision which makes you unable to drive, read, or recognize faces easily. It is one of the leading causes of loss of vision among Americans age 60 and above. It is a destructive disease that attacks the sharpness and clearness of your central vision.
Old age increases the risk of macular degeneration. Genetic factors and family history also account for the increased susceptibility of some individuals to suffer from this illness. It occurs in all races and nationalities, but whites or people having irises with light color are more likely to acquire this condition. Lengthy exposure to the sun can also worsen macular degeneration. Other causes are sleep apnea, obesity, and prolonged intake of some medications.
The good thing is that even if you are having problems with your eyesight; you can still cope and move around with ease. Here are some suggestions on how to cope with Macular Degeneration:
- Utilize different forms of assistance. People with macular degeneration and other visual impairments have many ways on how to lessen the difficulties they are experiencing. For instance, they can use reading materials with large prints and computer software programs with the capability to magnify prints on the monitor screen. At present, financial institutions such as banks and other firms even provide an option of releasing checks with bold prints for clients with vision problems.
- See to it that you have regular eye check-ups. This is also to make sure that the prescribed eyeglasses are fit for your eye condition. By consulting with eye specialists, you can also prevent other vision problems that may emerge in the future due to complications. Regular eye examination can lead to early detection of macular degeneration. Put in mind that while treatment can slow down the process of loss of vision, it is not assured that it can restore eyesight.
- Explore the idea of using customized eye glasses and handheld magnifiers. Using these can aid you in reading. Try using binocular glasses when watching television. You can also find certain types of filter lenses that decrease the brightness of the sunlight. These will greatly help those with vision impairment since they are designed to regulate the amount of light that comes into the eye.
- Buy appliances and gadgets such as clocks, computer keyboards, and telephones with oversized and bold prints. There are also some of these items which come with lighted keypad.
- Make sure that there is proper lighting at home. There could be adverse health findings to individuals who are regularly exposed to poor lighting. Excessive or poor lighting can have an effect on your eyesight and can worsen the problems of people with macular degeneration.
According to studies, the effects of macular degeneration cannot be
reversed. But you can slow down the progress of this sickness by having a
healthy lifestyle. You can also decrease the negative impact of macular
degeneration by being a non-smoker. There are also certain vegetables
and fruits that contain nutrients that give protection to the
degeneration of eye cells. Take foods that are rich in vitamin A and