Many of us want to lose weight, whether it be those last five pounds that will enable us to fit into last year's jeans or a more substantial amount in order to be healthier. While it is extremely important to lose weight carefully, while making sure that you are getting your nutritional needs met and staying healthy, it is still possible to lose weight fast and easily.
- Keep a food diary. A food diary can help you lose weight fast and easily for a number of reasons. First of all, you'll have a much better picture of what you actually eat - and you may be surprised! Secondly, once you know what you eat, you will be able to cut out what you need to and change what you need to in order to lose weight in a healthy manner.
- Decide which foods should be cut out of your diet. Foods that are loaded with sugar or fat can be cut out of the diet in order to lose weight fast and easily. Foods and beverages such as beer, candy, soda, pastries, and butter can be eliminated completely from the diet without losing important nutrients.
- Don't drink your calories. Many of us consume a great deal of calories in beverages; whether it is specialized coffee drinks, milkshakes, smoothies, alcoholic drinks, or soda. Many of these beverages have at least 200 calories per serving, and we drink them at every meal and in between meals. Simply switching to water or unsweetened iced tea can help you lose weight fast and surprisingly easily.
- Eat breakfast. It sounds counterintuitive to lose weight fast by eating more but it is all about what and when you eat. When you don't eat breakfast, your body tends to go into "starvation mode" and decreases your metabolism. It also puts you at risk for grabbing any sugary snack you can find because you're hungry! Try eating a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit in the morning or nonfat yogurt and high-fiber cereal. This will start your day right and actually help you to lose weight.
- Keep healthy snacks around. When you are hungry and trying to lose weight fast, it helps to have snacks like carrot sticks, nonfat yogurt, cherry or plum tomatoes, and grapes around. Eating these throughout the day keeps your blood sugar level, and does not give you a lot of sugar or fat. Remember, if you want to eat healthy snacks, you have to buy them and keep them in a convenient place.
- Don't keep unhealthy foods around. If you don't have it in your house (or your office), you can't eat it. When you are at the store, skip over the chips and chocolate and pastries. If you go grocery shopping while full, this can help you make good choices. If it is not in your house, you are less likely to make the effort to go out and find unhealthy snacks, and will end up eating what is nearby. Provided you replace your unhealthy snacks with healthy ones, you could find yourself losing weight quickly and easily.
- Drink enough water. Some of us can mistake feeling thirsty for feeling hungry, so get enough water! In addition, the more water you drink, the less you will want calorie-rich beverages.
- Be careful about portion sizes. Many of us, especially Americans, tend to eat more than we need to in order to finish everything on our plate. Try giving yourself less of each item and see if you are actually hungry before going back for seconds. When eating out, try to eat only half of your meal so that you have the other half to take home. You will not only lose weight but save money!
- Eat out less often. In restaurants, not only do you not have control of your portion size, but you also have little control over how your food is prepared. Eating at home more often means that you can control how your food is cooked and make sure that it is cooked in the healthiest manner possible, enabling you to lose weight fast and easily.
- Exercise. Losing weight in a healthy manner involves both diet and exercise. Increasing the amount of calories burned by exercising will help you to lose weight fast.
- Try aerobic exercise. Whether it is taking an aerobics class, running, swimming, or dancing, aerobic exercise gets your heart pumping and burns calories, helping you to lose weight and be good to your body.
- Don't forget strength training. Weight training builds muscle mass, which in turn increases your resting metabolism, which is what will help you lose weight fast and easily.
- Skip the fad diets. Yes, there are many diets and supplements which promise to help you lose weight fast and easily... but don't go for them. Most of them will deplete your body of essential nutrients and you tend to gain the weight back fairly quickly anyway. A much sounder way to lose weight is to engage in healthy eating and regular exercise.
Whether you are trying to lose weight fast or not, these tips can help you to have a healthier body and feel better, inside and out!