Not having fitness equipment at home or not being enrolled at a gym doesn’t mean that you can’t lose weight. There are so many activities that you could do to help you in your quest not just to score a trimmer body but a healthier one too. Think about it: activities like dancing and jogging can be done for free, and you’d just have to allot time in your day to do them. Yet another one of the easiest activities you could do is speed walking. Here are some of the top guidelines for losing weight through this activity:
- Consult with your doctor. This step is a must before you start any exercise routine, especially if your body is not used to it yet.
- Invest in good shoes. To choose good shoes for speed walking, you should be ready to invest in the best that you could afford. Choose shoes that are flexible. You should be able to bend and twist the shoes). They must have have flat heels and a slightly undercut heel. You should also buy shoes that have the proper width and length, and should have a toe box that can accommodate your toes with room to spare (about a finger’s width) and with a snug heel.
- Know when to shop for shoes. It’s best that you shop for shoes at the end of the day when your feet are already at their biggest. It’s also best that you wear the socks that you intend to wear when running while you’re shopping for shoes.
- Plan your route. To motivate you to keep a consistent walking routine, it’s recommended that you plan your route so that you can enjoy maximum enjoyment while walking. Of course, you could also plan for convenience so that you could sustain your speed walking routine even during your busiest days. For example, you could wear your running shoes going to the office and get off one bus station before your usual one. You could also speed walk one full floor at the mall before you do your shopping (just don’t mind the curious glances of the other shoppers!).
- Know the proper speed. As much as possible, you should walk at a consistent speed for 30 to 60 minutes daily (or at least 5 times a week). Start your regimen at a comfortable pace: the important thing is that you keep it up for the recommended time. As your body gets used to the exercise, you should level up the speed until you are brisk walking. Do know that with high-intensity walking speeds, you will be able to use more muscle groups that will help you burn more calories.
- Know the proper posture. To help you walk longer distances, you must adopt the proper posture while walking. The proper posture can be described as follows: keep your back straight (avoid leaning forward); look at least 20 feet in front of you; keep your chin parallel to the ground; bend your elbows at 90 degrees and keep them close to your body (do not let your arms cross your body); suck in your stomach; and take smaller steps than usual.
- Know how to walk properly. With regards to your walking, make sure that you roll your foot forward, pushing off with your toes, and that you land with your heel striking the ground first. Bring one foot forward as you push off with the toes of your other foot.
There you have it! These are just some of the best tips to lose weight while speed walking. Good luck, and hope this helped!