If you have high cholesterol in your body, make sure to go to the doctor for treatment. Medications are usually given to people with this condition. It’s very important to take care of this immediately because this can cause stroke, heart attack and even death. Aside from medications given by the doctor, there are also other methods on how to lower cholesterol. However, make sure to consult with your doctor first if it’s safe for your condition.
Here’s how you can lower cholesterol with alternative medicine.
- Choose the foods you eat. Fiber lowers cholesterol that’s why it’s best to eat foods that contain this. Some of the foods that are rich in fiber are orange, carrots, apple, beans and oatmeal. Make sure to include these foods on your meals to help lower the bad cholesterol in your body.
- Use herbs and garlic. There are herbal medicines available that are produced to lower cholesterol. Astragalus and Shan Zha are some of these. Garlic does not only make menu tasty, you can also use this in lowering cholesterol in your body. Supplements made from garlic are also available. Again, make sure to ask your doctor before taking any of these.
- Release stress. Stress and tension is believed to make cholesterol higher. To release stress and tension, you can get a massage to relax both your mind and body. Yoga is also a form of exercise that makes us feel relaxed therefore lowering cholesterol. Acupuncture is also one way to release stress or any pain you feel in your body.
- Niacin. Niacin or vitamin B3 is good for your body because it makes good cholesterol higher and bad cholesterol lower. There are supplements available that contains niacin. However, there are side effects in taking these such as diarrhea, nausea and high blood pressure. You should not take these unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Artichoke. This is a vegetable that is usually used in Mediterranean cuisine. Though this is a vegetable, this gives dishes a fruity taste and smell. Not only this tastes good, this can also help lower cholesterol.
- Plant sterols and stanols. These are substances that can be found in plants. You can get these by eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes and cereals.
- Lose weight. Being overweight makes cholesterol higher. You need to lose weight to lower your cholesterol level. To do this, you need to exercise regularly. If you can’t go to the gym, you can do basic exercises at home like push-ups and crunches. You can also jog or walk around your place. Avoid foods with saturated fats because these make cholesterol higher.
If your doctor allowed you to take these alternative medicines, make sure to still take the medicines originally prescribed to you. Do not miss your schedule in taking your medicines to make sure that your cholesterol will be lowered. Visit your doctor regularly to check your cholesterol level and monitor if there is an improvement. It’s very important to go on a follow-up check-up so that your doctor will be able to determine if the medicines given to you are working or if these need to be changed.