One fact: everybody wants to stay healthy. Truly, one of the best things in life is being able to walk, stand, eat, explore, do things, all without being encumbered by an illness or any other adverse physical condition. One of the diseases that we just pray will never hit us or our loved ones during our lifetimes is cancer. The great news is, there are many ways that we can prevent cancer from hitting us, and that is through easy steps such as having an over-all healthy lifestyle and eating choices. Some of the food most strongly supported by research and studies to help us combat illnesses and disease are food rich in antioxidants, phytochemicals, lycopene, omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. Food containing these include fruits and green, leafy vegetables, whole wheat and fish (such as tuna, mackerel, salmon and sardines).
Recently, it’s been discovered that there is another particular type of food that helps us combat cancer: mushrooms. Recently, studies were conducted on the effect of regular mushroom intake on overall health, and it’s been found that females who eat one-third of an ounce or more of mushrooms daily have less chance of developing breast cancer. If you want to find out more about how to lower your risk of cancer with a mushroom, here is some other information that could help you out:
- This study was conducted with 2,000 plus Chinese women. It’s also been observed that China, where mushrooms are regularly consumed, has breast cancer rates that are 4 to 5 times lower than the rates in other developed countries.
- In the study, the women who ate more than 10 grams of mushrooms (or about 1/8 cup) daily were about 67% less likely to develop tumors in the breast, while those who consumed 4 grams daily showed lowered risks by about 50%.
- It was found that the most effective way to reduce cancer risks through mushrooms is by eating them fresh and raw, rather than eating them dried or cooked (although mushrooms in these forms pose anti-cancer benefits as well). To further compound the positive effects of mushroom consumption, a daily intake of green tea (brewed, not the ready-to-drink ones in bottles) is recommended.
- It’s very important that you know how to choose your mushrooms to make sure that they are still fresh. Choose ones that are firm and have no exterior flaws. Be sure to check for molds or other growth (these are not good). Also, the mushrooms you choose should not be too wet to the touch – over-dry mushrooms are not good, either.
- Once you’ve bought your mushrooms, make sure that you store them inside a paper bag and put them in the fridge; if you bought canned mushrooms, on the other hand, transfer the contents into an airtight container and then keep them in the fridge. You may drizzle them with lime juice or lemon juice to preserve their color.
There you have it! These are the information that you need to remember if you want to know how you can lower your risk of breast cancer by consuming mushrooms. The key to overall health is to maintain a healthy lifestyle and to choose natural food over their more processed alternatives. Good luck!