Various infectious diseases are easily spread through the hands. Therefore frequent hand washing is a must in order to ward off disease-causing germs that are transmitted through frequent contact with other persons. There are times though when washing your hands is not possible, especially when there is no water available. In this situation using a hand sanitizer is your best option. And yet hand sanitizer gels can bring added cost to your grocery list, so you might as well make your own with the use of natural fruit extracts.
Grapefruit seed extract is a very potent ingredient in making a hand sanitizer gel. It has substances that can be effective in fighting harmful germs. And because it is all natural, it will not cause allergies or adverse reactions even on sensitive skin.
Follow these steps when making a grapefruit seed extract:
- Purchase the necessary ingredients in making the gel. You will need grapefruit seed extract and Aloe vera gel. You may also add other substances like tea tree oil and peppermint oil to give the gel a distinct scent. Make sure that the aloe vera gel is pure and that no additives have been mixed with it. Meanwhile the other essences must likewise be of good quality with no harsh ingredients added.
- In a bowl, mix the aloe vera and grape fruit seed extract with some parts of peppermint oil or tea tree oil. The measurement ratio must be four ounces pure Aloe vera to twelve drops grape fruit seed extract. Or, if you want a smaller size of mixture, do it with one ounce aloe vera gel combined with three drops grape fruit seed extract. You can adjust the measurements as you wish, while adding more of the Peppermint or Tea Tree oil depending on how strong you want the scent to be. If the mixture becomes watery, add more aloe vera gel.
- Let the mixture stand for a few minutes, allowing it to thicken and gel.
- Pour the mixture in an empty squeeze bottle. You may reuse an old squeeze bottle for gels or buy one from pharmaceutical or household supply stores. If no gel bottles are available, you may use any kind of covered container with a narrow spout.
- Write the label on the bottle. Indicate the date when you created the gel and the date when it will expire. Homemade concoctions usually last for a year. Write down the ingredients so anyone who will use it is aware of its components.
This grapefruit seed extract hand sanitizer gel is a natural and harmless antiseptic that you can use even on allergy susceptible skin. Its aloe vera component also has a great moisturizer and skin softening effect hence you can use it sparingly and frequently. You can carry your bottle of grapefruit seed extract hand sanitizer gel in your bag or car for your use anytime. To use the gel, apply a generous amount on your hands and rub it entirely for a few seconds until it evaporates.