Millions of people around the world suffer from some form of arthritis. The joints are inflamed and that makes it difficult and painful for the sufferer to move. The pain is more frequent when the weather gets cooler. There are more than 100 different forms of arthritis. While there is no single preparation that is an effective cure for arthritis, there are steps and topical preparations that you can take to ease the discomfort.
One of these is emu oil. Australian aborigines have used emu oil for generations to cure some skin related disorders like psoriasis, eczema, wrinkles and skin dryness due to the harsh Australian climate. Further studies were made on emu oil and it was found to have more healing properties and uses. Emu oil hydrates the skin as it contains Vitamin E. In its pure state, it grows no bacterial organisms so it has a longer shelf life. It does not irritate the skin. Emu oil is like water. It is not greasy so it does not clog the pores.
It is a better than prescribed analgesics to prevent inflammation. The topical application of emu oil can eliminate the inflammation caused by arthritis due to its deep penetrating property. Emu oil has high oleic acid content that comforts stiff joints and relaxes sore muscles. Research on other uses of emu oil is continuing around the world.
You can prepare your own emu oil arthritis rub at home. Here are the ingredients and steps to make the rub.
- Double boiler (stainless, glass or ceramic)
- Sterilized mason jars or other containers
- Beeswax (about ¼ cup)
- Cocoa butter (about ¼ cup)
- Shea butter (about five tablespoons)
- Safflower oil or almond oil (about ½ cup)
- Jojoba oil (about ½ cup)
- Emu oil (1/4 cup)
- Two capsules evening primrose oil
- Two Vitamin E capsules
- Drop of sandalwood, patchouli, lavender, tea tree oil, peppermint essential oils
You can buy these ingredients in health food stores and aromatherapy shops.
- Melt the beeswax, cocoa butter and shea butter in your double boiler over low heat. Using a stainless, ceramic or glass pot assure that no other contaminant can be incorporated in the mixture, like when you use an aluminum pot. Use a Teflon- coated or wooden spoon.
- Stir in the safflower or almond oil, jojoba oil, and emu oil. Prick the Vitamin E and evening primrose oil capsules with a needle, squeeze out the contents, and add into the mix. Make sure that all the ingredients blend well into the beeswax and butter concoction.
- Remove from heat and add the essential oils. Stir to blend.
- Pour the mix into your sterilized jars and allow the mixture to cool before you cover the containers.
The uses of emu oil are many. Other preparations are available in the market today. It is also an ingredient used in the manufacture of cosmetics because it is a very good emulsifier. Enjoy the pain-relieving property of a natural emu oil rub that can provide greater relief to arthritis pain than commercial analgesic preparations without fear of any side effects. This alone is already a major benefit.