The leaves of the oregano plant are not only known for the great flavor that they lend to dishes when used as a spice. Oregano has always been known as a great medicinal plant that could soothe those with headaches and nausea. Some even swear by its ability to reduce the pain caused by arthritis. There are oils in specialty pharmacies that have essence of oregano, but did you know that you could make it yourself in the comfort of your very own home?
The process is actually quite simple. It’s not that different for creating your own oil infusion. In fact, the steps for this procedure could be used with just about any herb or flower whose essence you want to infuse into an oil. Here’s how you make your own bottle of oil of oregano.
- The first step is to get a good amount of oregano. Fresh oregano is always best. Don’t get the ones that have been in plastic bags in groceries for a long time. If possible, go to a spice farm or plant nursery and get one that is still planted in a pot. This would ensure to you that the essences are still locked within the plant itself. Chop it up shortly before making the oil infusion. This would allow the essences that are still trapped within seep out easier.
- Grab a double boiler. It’s just a simple set of two pans that could be stacked on top of each other.
- The bottom pot should have a bit of water for boiling.
- The pot on top should have the base oil that you want to use. You may want to use olive oil or a neutral mineral oil for this purpose.
- Before putting the pot on top of the stove, add the chopped up pieces of oregano into the pan with oil.
- Put the pots on and set the flame into medium heat. Don’t let the oil boil. The idea is to just allow the oil to heat up but not to the point that you’ll see bubbles forming on the surface.
- It should be a slow process so that all the essences end up in the oil. For best results, keep the fire on for about six hours. Let it rest for a few hours then take a strainer to get all the bits of oregano on the surface.
- Take a cheese cloth and wring the chopped pieces into the oil. This would ensure that every last bit ends up in your oregano oil.
- Store you oil inside a jar and refrigerate. This should be safe to use for about half a year.
You may now use your oregano oil to massage your aching joints and muscles. This could also be a good gift idea for your family and friends. Sharing the recipe would also be a great idea. Just give out small jars with a small card with the steps above.