Nutritional yeast is a type of deactivated yeast grown on sugar beets or molasses. It is not the same as the yeast used in making breads. This highly nutritious yeast is also not the same as brewer’s yeast although they have some similarities.
Nutritional yeast has 18 amino acids and 15 minerals. A rich source of protein as well as fiber, nutritional yeast is rich in vitamin B. This type of vitamin is essential to your body’s mental health, the proper functioning of the nervous system and other bodily functions. Nutritional yeast is a good source of B-vitamins if you are allergic to dairy or a practicing vegetarian. It is also low in sodium and fat.
Here are some of the uses of nutritional yeast:
Nutritional yeast is a food supplement. You can find it in natural food markets and health food stores. It comes in yellow powder form. There are many ways that you can make use of nutritional yeast. Here are some ways you can use nutritional yeast:
- Add nutritional yeast to popcorn. Make some plain or buttered popcorn. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast over the popcorn and mix or shake. It will give popcorn a cheesy flavor.
- Bake with nutritional yeast. Add about a teaspoon of nutritional yeast for every cup of all purpose flour and use this for baking cookies and other goodies.
- Sprinkle over dishes. Place the nutritional yeast in a sugar shaker. Shake nutritional yeast on your rice or vegetable dishes. If you often use Parmesan cheese, replace this with nutritional yeast. Top your pasta dishes, soups, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato fries and even your cereals with nutritional yeast.
- Incorporate it in sauces. Add more healthy nutrients to your sauces and gravies. Mix in at least half a teaspoon of nutritional yeast for every cup of liquid that is used for the sauce or gravy.
- Mix it in burgers. Whether you are making regular beef burgers, turkey burger or vegetable burger, add one tablespoon of nutritional yeast to every 2 cups of burger mixture. Blend it in well.
- Scramble it in eggs. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast in beaten eggs to make scrambled eggs. Or, sprinkle it on top of the cooked scrambled eggs instead.
- Help your pets fight off fleas. Adding a teaspoon to your dog or cat’s food can help eliminate those pesky fleas. Nutritional yeast also promotes a healthy coat and provides essential nutrients your pets surely need.
- Use nutritional yeast moderately at first. Never allow it to overpower the taste of your original dish. It should only give a hint of cheesy flavor.
- Buy nutritional yeast that was cultivated on sugar beets or molasses. This makes the nutritional yeast gluten-free. Nutritional yeast from sugar beets or molasses is easy to digest and pleasant to your taste buds.
- Purchase in bulk because it is cheaper that way.
- If you can’t find nutritional yeast at your local health food store, there are online stores that carry this type of yeast.
Nutritional yeast tastes like cheese and can be added to many types of
main meals and snacks. It is highly nutritious, providing vitamin B,
proteins from non-animal sources, fiber and a host of other nutrients
that are good for the body. This type of inactive yeast comes in
powdered form or in flakes. If you are a practicing vegetarian or vegan,
or you suffer from lactose intolerance, nutritional yeast is for you.
People with celiac disease can use gluten-free nutritional yeast grown
on sugar beets or molasses. But even without dietary restrictions, you
can surely enjoy this cheesy, nutty food supplement.