Apple cider vinegar has recently been found to be a healthy home remedy for many ailments and to improve health by reducing the chances of heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis by lowering blood pressure, controlling sugar levels and allowing more calcium to be absorbed by the body. Additionally, the beta-carotene found in apple cider vinegar is said to prevent cancer. Mixing two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with water and drinking it three times a day before meals can reduce the effects of aging. It is also a good, healthy way to lose weight, as it boosts a person’s metabolism, so if you’re interested in having a body like the stars, or want to lose a few pounds to be able to wear that trendy pair of apple bottom jeans, you might want to include apple cider vinegar in your diet. You can probably buy it off the shelf, but be careful that what you purchase has been made from organically grown whole apples. You can also make your own apple cider vinegar. This is what you need to do:
- Gather the apples that you will use to make five gallons of apple juice. Pick ones that are completely ripe and free from worms or brown blemishes, and which have a high sugar content, like Gala, Golden Delicious, Fuji and Red Delicious apples.
- Cut the apples into tiny pieces before crushing them. Use a piece of cheesecloth as a sieve, or you can use a fruit or vegetable press to do the work for you. Deposit the five gallons of apple juice into whatever clean, non-metallic (plastic or glass) containers you have at home. Set aside a quart in a different container.
- Put one cake of wine-making yeast in the quart of apple juice that you’ve set aside earlier, and stir until it dissolves.
- Mix the quart in with the rest of the apple juice. Make sure that each container is at least two-thirds full of the mixture. Use cheesecloth to cover the mouths of these containers. Afterwards, these containers have to be kept in a dark place at 60 or 80 degrees for three weeks. You have to stir the apple cider vinegar once a day during that time.
- Filter your vinegar through cheesecloth once more and pour it in a large heat resistant pot. Put it over a fire and stir it frequently. At this point, you should refrain from doing other things that can distract you. Don’t plug in your AirPort Express to google something, watch a video in YouTube or play a game while you’re waiting, or you might suddenly find that you have no vinegar left!
- Remove the vinegar from the fire after it has boiled at 140 degrees, and funnel it into clean glass or plastic bottles with secure lids. If you want, you can put them in your bathtub filled with hot water as an extra step to sterilize them more. Allow them to cool a bit before storing them in a cool, dry place.
If you have extra apples, you could make some apple pie as well. Enjoy making your own apple cider vinegar and get one step closer to good health and a nice figure.