Most diabetics suffer itchy feet or numb feelings in the lower extremities. This can be caused by poor blood circulation. It can damage the nerves. Nerve damage is known as diabetic neuropathy. Neuropathy causes numbness. The skin cannot feel pain, cold or heat. Because of numbness, minor cuts or blisters cannot be noticed at once. It is important that the desensitizing situation can be addressed as early as possible or it becomes worst. Poor circulation of the blood throughout the body is called a peripheral vascular disease. The body cannot heal itself after an injury.
By using a diabetic foot lotion the itchiness and numb feelings caused by diabetes will be addressed. The foot lotion can be made by using ingredients that are common in the house and sometimes they have already been used for other purposes.
The following steps are required in order to make your own diabetic foot lotion:
- Gather the ingredients—olive or mineral oil; Shea butter or Vaseline; vitamin E capsule; tea tree oil; bottle with lid, empty; mixer or fork to mix.
- Mix the oil and Shea butter or Vaseline. It is preferable to use Shea butter than Vaseline because Shea is a concentrated moisturizer that is good for skin problems especially for diabetics.
- Cut the Vitamin E capsule and pour it into the mixture as a preservative. Add the tea tree oil to drive away yeast and bacteria from the skin.
- Blend all the mixtures and pour into an empty bottle ready for use.
- Without the above ingredients, equal parts of petroleum jelly and mineral oil may be combined and mixed thoroughly to blend. When poured in an empty bottle, this solution can also be used to soften the skin and remove the itchiness.
When the foot lotion is ready, the patient should also know how to apply it and be relieved. Warm water and mild soap is recommended to clean the feet daily before applying the homemade foot lotion. Soaking the feet is not advisable. In fact, after washing with warm water and mild soap, the spaces between the toes have to be toweled dry. Then application of the foot lotion may proceed.
To get the most from the foot lotion, the heels and soles are given special attention. A clean pair of socks protects the lotion to be rubbed out without being absorbed by the skin. What is important is that the lotion stays and absorbed by the skin to get a good result. Shoes and slippers protect the feet even around the house. The soles do not contact dirt and dusts, which bring different kinds of microbes and bacteria that stays there if not washed with warm water and mild soap.
Making your own diabetic foot lotion saves you money. Diabetes itself is a very expensive disease that can drain off all savings. Without cooperation from the patient, diabetes is difficult to cure. When the homemade foot lotion is available, the next step is application followed by safeguarding.