We often hear people say, ‘the eyes are the windows of the soul’. Yes it is true but if the eyes are tired, they may not serve as windows anymore.
When we read a lot or watch TV for long periods, the eyes become tired. Situations like that give us the opportunity to pamper our eyes and give them a little luxury. We can make our own eye soothing treatments, which are available in many forms. Set aside expensive creams and try the following:
Cucumber. Cucumber is a vegetable which can give relief to tired eyes. A home made recipe goes like a combination of ¼ of the fruit and an ounce of aloe vera gel.
- Mince or grind the cucumber leaving some pulps.
- Drain liquid in a glass bowl and collect at least 2 ounces.
- Add an ounce of aloe vera to the bowl of cucumber juice and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean container which can be stored easily.
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply the under eye area after cleansing the face.
- Keep the excess solution in the refrigerator for use within a few days.
A modification of the above recipe includes two additional ingredients: witch hazel and cornstarch.
- Mix a tablespoon of aloe vera gel, a teaspoon of cucumber juice, and one-fourth teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Heat the mixture until it boils. Remove from fire or microwave.
- Blend the witch hazel and let the mixture cool. When cool, the mixture becomes a clear and gel-like cream.
- Transfer the mixture, which should be about an ounce in a clean jar.
- To use, dab only under the eye area and leave overnight. Keep the excess in a cool place for future use. The shelf life of the solution is one week.
You can also use cucumber slices. The vitamin C content of cucumbers (ascorbic acid and caffeic acid) is a remedy for irritated and puffy eyes by lessening the bulges. To use it:
- Slice 2 one-half inch thick cucumber and chill on top of a bed of ice.
- When cooled, put each slice over each eye and lean back to keep the cucumber slices rested over each eye.
- Relax for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the slices and rinse the face with cold water.
Chamomile, Green, or Black Tea Bags. When the eyes are tired, they become red and puffy. Use chamomile tea to ease the problem. Use green and black tea to shrink inflamed tissues. The tannin in green and black tea have a constricting while caffeine tightens the blood vessel to lessen puffiness. To use it:
- Boil water and submerge two teabags for three minutes.
- Take out the teabags from the hot water and cool them in the fridge.
- When cooled, put one teabag over each eye.
- Recline or lay down and relax. Leave the teabags for 15 minutes
Chilled metal spoons, cold milk and egg whites are also eye soothing treatments which reduce redness and puffiness in the eye area. Chilled metal spoons and cold milk function on the principle of cold temperature, while egg whites act as astringent to make the skin smooth and tight.