Yoga is a discipline that has been practiced for centuries. In Asia, yoga is not only a form of exercise but is also a type of meditation that is meant to unite the yoga practitioner with the unity of the world. If you practice yoga for health or for meditation, one of the tools that you need is the yoga mat, which will provide you with the space to perform the various yoga poses and positions. Here’s how you can create your own yoga mat spray to help keep your mat clean and smelling fresh.
- Combine the ingredients. You will need two cups of filtered water, three tablespoons of rubbing or isopropyl alcohol, a quarter of a cup of plain white vinegar, a teaspoon of tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil. Place all of these ingredients in a small bowl and use a small spoon to combine the ingredients. You will need to do this for about five minutes or more, because the water and the oils will not combine easily.
- Adding scents. If you want to add scents to the yoga mat spray to keep your mat smelling fresh and to neutralize the odor of sweat that has come into contact with the yoga mat, you will need to use herbs that are infused into the solution. Choose the herb whose scent you like most. Lavender, rosemary, rose, cinnamon, and vanilla are some of the common herbs that can be used, although any fragrant herb growing in your home garden may also be used. Dry the herbs in a room away from direct sunlight for a week or two, and then place the leaves or petals of the herbs in the solution. Allow the herbs to steep in the solution for up to two weeks.
- Straining. After two weeks, take the solution and use a piece of cheese cloth to remove the petals and strands of leaves that are in the solution. Some small particles may also form at the bottle of the container. Remove these as well using the cheese cloth.
- Storage. Once the yoga mat spray is prepared, you can store these in spray bottles that are available in leading supermarkets such as K-Mart and Wal-Mart. These usually cost a dollar for each bottle. You can create different yoga mat sprays with different scents from various types of herbs. In this case, you will need to store these in separate spray bottles. Make sure that you label the bottles as yoga mat cleaners, and attach the particular scent to each bottle.
- Usage. To use the yoga mat spray, you need to lightly spray on the formula on the yoga mat after every use. Allow the yoga mat to dry in the open air before the mat is rolled up and stored away.
If you have friends who also practice yoga, you can also give them bottles of the yoga mat spray as gifts. Enjoying yoga with aroma therapeutic scents and a clean yoga mat is possible by creating your own inexpensive and organic yoga mat spray.