Girth size is a pretty good estimate of health condition both for humans and animals. In fact, the girth or size of a belly is a good predetermination of state of health. In the United States, where large portions are encouraged and an even larger portion of the population are into super-sizing their meals resulting into ever-increasing rates of heart disease, warning bells are clanging louder than ever to cut down on the mean and choose to go lean.
If you are worried that you may become one of the fatalities of heart disease someday, now is the time to stop and take stock of your health. You can begin by measuring your girth size using common accessories found in your home, your closet, and of course, with the help of medical science.
Here are the means to do it.
- Tape measure. This is the simplest and fastest way of measuring girth size. Typically, you use a tape measure to measure the circumference of your belly. That’s okay but this time you might want to add the difference between your belly and your chest size. Ideally, your belly should not ever exceed the size of your chest. If your belly is bigger than your chest, you have got to put a lid on binging on unhealthy food.
- Belt. Use the holes of your belt as a practical gauge for your belly’s girth. If you cinch your belt up to the 3rd or 4th hole, that’s quite fine but if you go all the way to the last belt hole….well, go see a trainer and nutritionist immediately.
- Jeans. You have probably seen a number of television commercials showing a woman jumping up and down trying her darned best to fit into a pair of jeans. That may be a source of amusement but in reality that is a way to determine your girth size. If you have a pair of jeans that’s been with you for a year, try it on for size. If it still fits perfectly meaning no presence of fat spilling over or accumulating on top after you zip your jeans, you have a pretty good idea of your present state of health and hopefully, smart food choices.
- SAD. Move over BMI. Measuring Body Mass Index or BMI as a precursor of heart disease is a thing of the past. It has apparently become unreliable because it cannot tell fat from muscle ergo, inconclusive findings. Today’s doctors rely on SAD or Sagittal Abdominal Diameter which also go by the name Supine Abdominal Height to measure girth from a person’s pelvis to the lower ribs using a Caliper. It is a more reliable way of recognizing visceral obesity. You cannot perform this test by yourself so it will be best if you request this for inclusion on your next scheduled medical check up.
- Genetics. Many studies have shown that genetics play a big role in weight management and health. Indeed, obesity can be passed on from DNA to DNA. This fact is uncontestable and you can actually know if you can succumb to obesity just by looking at your family. If Mom and Dad have weight issues, you will not be far behind so keep a close watch on that girth, girl.
Pursuant to further clarifying the issue on girth, Girth is not the circumference of your waistline but rather the protrusion of fat from your pelvis and lower rib regions. If you see a mound of fat spilling over from your gut area, please make a lifestyle 360 degree turn. Although making a choice to be healthy and staying healthy cannot be achieved overnight as it will take discipline and dogged determination, it can be done in the name of staying alive.