IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a condition that conventional medicine has no known reason or any known cure. It is characterized by either diarrhea or constipation with constant abdominal pain, bloating, and spasm. It is a difficult condition but it is not the worst condition you can have. There are ways you can manage through the condition and if you are leaning more on integrative medicine you can actually get cured from this condition.
- Educate yourself. There are always different schools of thought, different opinions, different research results, etc. IBS has a general definition but it has various methods for treatment. You need to read on these and find out for yourself which one best suits you. You have to understand the benefits and side effect of medication and the differences in supplements, vitamins, and pharmacological drugs. Naturopathy and Homeopathy are both alternative medication that provides natural treatment for IBS. Find a good and credible naturopath or homeopath for regular consultation.
- Do not be a patient, be a partner. Make sure that you still see a medical doctor. It may be a bit of a journey but you will find a gastroenterologist that will work with you and your goal of finding a natural cure. Going back to step number one, make sure you come to your doctor’s appointment prepared. Have your questions prepared and expect your doctor to explain the answers to you in a manner that you understand. Be honest about the alternative treatment that you are taking. If you feel the need to hide these things from your doctor, then you do not have the right doctor.
- Modify your diet. This is a toughie! There is nothing more difficult than having to change what you are already used to. The toughest thing to change though of all the things that you have gotten used to is the food you eat. How can you live without carbohydrates and sugars? These are the two single most comfortable foods available anywhere in the word and yet they are the most culpable foods that will create the worst damage for a gut that is already compromised. IBS is not something that will go away within a couple of months. Having a proper diet is the single most important thing you can do to get the condition under control.
- Change your lifestyle. There is no getting around this. When you modify your diet you need to support that change by overhauling of your lifestyle choices. You cannot be in a situation or environment that makes it difficult for you to be healthy. You need a lifestyle that will restore your digestive health and nourish your overall well-being.
- Have a positive attitude. Your attitude will play a huge part in easing or aggravating your symptoms. Gut problems are strongly associated with mental stress. If you think about it, most diseases are commonly associated with emotional or mental tension. The adage “laughter is the best medicine” is a testament to how powerful emotional and psychological condition is in dealing with any ailment.
In the hierarchy of bowel disorders, IBS is the not the most worrisome
ailment you can have. It can worsen though if it is neglected. With
proper care you can actually get cured from all the symptoms and live an
active healthy lifestyle.