Scientifically speaking, being irritable means responding excessively to a stimulus. In layman’s term, this means feeling angry and depressed about something that is not really that worthy of your excessive emotion. Sad to say, it’s not the cause of your irritability that suffers more—it’s you.
Luckily, irritability is something you can handle. You can overcome this excessive reaction as long as you practice the following tips:
- Relax. Whenever you feel irritable, try to remember that you have to relax. It may seem silly to relax when you feel irritability. But remember to do it and that will already be a big help. How will you relax, then? Breathe deeply. This allows oxygen to enter the brain, making the organ better functioning. Drink a glass of water, too. Doing this stops you from feeling irritable for a while.
- Comfort yourself. What is the single most favorite thing you like to do? Maybe you like eating ice cream a lot or watching a comedy show. Or maybe you like to squeeze a balloon until it bursts. Whatever it is that makes you happy for a while, do that when you feel irritable. This will balance out your emotion and you’ll feel less irritable.
- No stressful thoughts. As much as possible, don’t think of anything that will only stress you out. Instead, think of the good and happy things.
- Play. Be a child for a while and go out—play! Fly a kite, jump up high, bounce a ball, pick some flowers, play with your pet, or play with some kids. Playing helps your brain to release the stress that has caused your irritability.
- Exercise. Extreme physical activities like physical exercise help release happy hormones. These hormones, obviously, make you feel happier.
- Go out. Take your bike and visit your neighbors. Drive your car and visit the mall, the nearest beach, or the nearest lake. You can even go for a three-day vacation.
- Friends and family. Talk with friends or family who you have never seen for a long time. They surely miss you a lot like how you do.
- Sleep. For some people, sleeping is their way to overcome irritability. Maybe it will work for you, too. When you feel irritable, try to relax first. Then, try to sleep and you’ll see the effect when you wake up. This may not make you forget why you felt irritable but it will at least make you feel better.
Better spend your time doing all these things than spend your time feeling irritable. But there are times that no matter what you do and no matter how hard you try, you can’t still overcome irritability. In that case, you should already seek a medical help.
Doctors will give you certain medicines that will help you feel relaxed and forget about your irritability. They surely know the best thing to do to combat your irritability.
Above all, resolve the root cause of your irritability. This is the simplest, easiest, and most effective way to overcome your irritable feeling.