Quitting caffeine is hard to do especially if you have been dependent on your caffeine fix for years. You may experience side effects when you suddenly quit taking caffeine. The trick to quitting is to do it gradually. You may find that going cold turkey will not be effective, as you would like. There are also other tips you can use to help you become less caffeine dependent.
Here are some of the tips you can use to get rid of your caffeine addiction:
- Identify. Identify all the caffeinated drinks that you consume all day. This may include coffee, different energy drinks and soda. When you are first trying to quit, do not do it abruptly. What you can do is to find some alternatives for the products that you drink. Usually, you can find caffeine-free versions of these drinks.
- Reduce the amount gradually. One of the best ways to quit caffeine addiction is to gradually reduce the amount of caffeine you take in per day. Lessen the cups of coffee you drink per week. Do this until your body gets accustomed to taking only one cup of coffee per day and eventually quit drinking caffeine.
- Alternative. If you find that you are still craving for caffeine when you have substituted to a caffeine free drink, what you can do is drink a combination of the two. The first week, try to consume ¼ parts caffeine free mixed with ¾ your normal drink. The next week, split the drink 50-50. The third week, consume ¾ caffeine free drinks and ¼ your regular drink and on the fourth week, eliminate the caffeinated drink altogether.
- Relaxation. Chances are, you will be cranky the first few days when you find that you can no longer take your usual caffeine drink. To take your mind off caffeine, try an activity that will help you relax and forget about missing caffeine. You can take a vacation or go and enroll in yoga classes. This will make you concentrate on relaxing and take your mind off caffeine.
- Find an alternative. Find an alternative that will give you the same effects of taking caffeine. When you need to wake up, you can listen to music that always makes you want to dance. You can also splash your face with cold water or take power naps. You will be surprised how doing other things can return your energy level.
- Drink lots of water. Another thing you can do to speed up the process of eliminating the toxins from your body is by drinking lots of water. Withdrawal symptoms from quitting caffeine can be irritating. The more water you take, the faster the toxins will be flushed from your body.
These are some of the tips that you can use when you are trying to quit caffeine. Take note that quitting caffeine is not the same for everyone. It may be easier for others to quit and others just can’t seem to let go of caffeine. You can try different techniques to see which one is the best for you.