Biofreeze is a brand of pain reliever. Pain is a feeling of discomfort that is often associated with anxiety or fear. There are several kinds of pain, and they vary based on some categories. These categories are intensity, duration and location.
Pain can be felt in all locations of the body. Back pain may be caused by weakened bones in the back. This happens mostly because of the body’s lack of nutrients and minerals, such as calcium. Joint pain is usually caused by lack of synovial fluid inside the joints. This fluid serves as a lubricant to avoid damage to the joints. With the absence of this fluid, the joints tend to crack and break, causing intense pain. Muscle pain is the most common pain experienced. This is caused by too much stress on the muscles. Another type of pain is abdominal. This is a type of pain that occurs in the abdomen and is usually associated with a stomach ache or a full bladder. These are some of the bodily pains normally experienced by people.
Management or reduction of pain includes the use of a pain reliever. One type of pain reliever is an analgesic. It is a type of drug that is used to relieve the feeling of pain. Pain relievers do not provide permanent pain relief nor do they cure the problem causing the pain. They only give relief for a certain period of time. These drugs are usually prescribed to be taken every time a person feels intolerable pain.
Pain relievers can be taken orally or applied externally. Among these two, pain relievers applied topically are more commonly used. They are efficient with muscle pains because they can concentrate on the area that is experiencing pain. Among the topical analgesics, pain relieving gel is the best to use. A good example of a pain-relieving gel is Biofreeze.
Biofreeze works by producing a cooling effect on the area that is experiencing pain. It contains herbal extract, called ILEX paraguariensis. The cooling effect then increases healing to the vasodilatation of the vessels. This effect allows more blood to flow from the muscles thus relieving pain.
Biofreeze is proven to be effective in relieving pain. If you are going to use this medicine, be sure that you ask your physician first. It is said that this medicine has a lot of side effects. Here are the side effects of the Biofreeze pain reliever:
- Cough. There are some people who have allergic reactions to certain drugs. Allergic reactions may vary depending on the type of product used. If accidentally applied near the nostrils, there can be an adverse reaction to the nasal passage. This can cause the patient to experience coughing fits.
- Lacerations on the skin. This is a more severe case of allergic reaction to the topical pain reliever. Most people who have lacerations on the skin due to the pain reliever may have sensitive skin.
- Labored breathing. This is caused by too much inhalation of the product. Though the product’s scent can immediately fade away, there are still some elements that can trigger allergies. Be more cautious especially if you have respiratory asthma.
- Headache and dizziness. This can be a result of too much inhalation of the product. Make sure to only apply a thin layer of Biofreeze on the affected area.
- Redness and inflammation. Redness and inflammation of the skin is a sign that you may be allergic to the product.
To avoid these possible side effects, try applying a small amount on your skin to test if there are any allergic reactions. If there are no adverse effects after a few days, the usage of the gel may be continued. The use of the Biofreeze pain relieving gel is an effective way to temporarily aid minor aches and pains. A small amount of this gel can ease away the pain of tired and sore muscles.